Frank Notley

Name ID 456

See also

nTZ Feedback
Extract Author: Chris Browne
Page Number: 2008 03 31

Frank B. Notley

I am doing some research to find out as much as possible about my grandfather Frank B. Notley who settled in Oldeani and built a coffee farm.

I keep coming back to your web site that has snippets of information, and I am wondering whether you can point me in any number of directions that would help me learn more about his time there.

Things I have found include references to various papers on coffee leafminers, a mosquito that he found, his wife Violet's work on dried foods for solders.The latter my Mum says were frequently revolting!

Really appreciate the work you have put into the site and look forward to hearing from you.

Extract ID: 5607

See also

Marsh, R.J. and E.P Safari Diaries
Page Number: 03
Extract Date: 1953 August 15


Not such a misty morning, but after breakfast it rained and we packed, loaded the car, and began the return journey in rain and mist. This made the road treacherous, so we proceeded with care. We made a call on the Game Warden's wife at their house - she must lead a lonely life miles from anybody. We proceeded slowly down the hillside and then made out way to the Notley's estate in Oldeani, where we were to spend the weekend.

Extract ID: 569

See also

Marsh, R.J. and E.P Safari Diaries
Page Number: 01
Extract Date: 1953 August 13


Packing and preparing for our journey to Ngorongoro Crater before visiting Oldeani at the weekend. We eventually got away before 11am, discovering at the last moment that the car bonnet would not open to let me put water in the radiator! It was too late to do anything about it, and we decided to get going and hope for the best. We had a good journey down the Dodoma Rd. and decided to call at Oldeani on the way, although it meant an extra 24 miles.

It was about 100 miles to Oldeani, and we found the Notley's estate easily, arriving about 4. We had some tea, left some of our things there, not wanted until Sunday, and then made our way back to the road to the Crater. At the junction of the roads it was 16 miles to the Rest Camp, slowly climbing all the time, 11 miles of which were continuous bends around the mountainside, surrounded chiefly by forest.

To compare the heights - Arusha is about 4,700 ft: Oldeani 5,500 ft and the Crater Rest Camp about 7,500 ft.

We arrived at the camp about 6.30 p.m. having had to stop once on the way to let the engine cool down. So we had to settle into the camp in the fading light - unpacking, making beds, seeing to a meal all by hurricane lamp. We had one of our houseboys with us, so he saw to the kitchen fire and cooking.

The camp is really quite well equipped - tho" you have to bring all food, kitchen utensils and crockery. We had quite an assortment of things in the back of the car! We had two log huts, a kitchen, a bathroom (all log huts) between us. The two 'rooms' had beds + armchairs and tables etc. We brought bedding, although blankets could be hired - it got cold at night, and a good wood fire in the hut was appreciated! We concentrated on feeding and getting the boys to bed, and then decided on an early bed ourselves anyway.

Extract ID: 566

See also

Marsh, R.J. and E.P Safari Diaries
Page Number: 12
Extract Date: 1955 August 4


We got under way in good time with breakfast, and then went along to the Karatu dukas before leaving at 9.30 for a day's visiting of the farms.

First we called at Jimmy Gibb's - almost opposite the Karatu dukas, about three miles off the road. He showed us over his farm - coffee (which is doing very well everywhere in Oldeani this year, nearly ready for picking, and looks a bumper crop), maize and wheat (this has failed nearly everywhere, through rust, a wheat disease. The Tisdall's have written all their wheat off). Gibb is now irrigating his coffee by overhead piping, and giving a regular and uniform spray over a wide area. He taps his water from a stream at the top of the farm, about 6,000 ft. up, near the forest reserve. This has a drop of 2-300 ft. to give him his pressure. He took us up to see the dam he had made at a waterfall. His men had carried all the cement etc. required for this and we followed the path up through the forest which they made. There were evidences of large animals around, though not very recently! The last lap was up a sheer scramble, and Paul hedged at first and almost refused to go further. However we made it and got up to the waterfall, now dry because of the dam, though Gibb opened up the sluice for a while to let the boys see the water drop down over the fall of about 60 ft.

We then went on to Beaumont's, where we had lunch. He is on his own at the moment as his family are still in England. We met his next door neighbour who came over after lunch [Haman]. Coming back on main road, called on Aston and had a long talk with him. Then called at Lutheran Mission before going over to the centre area of Oldeani again to call on the Braunshweig's and then the Notleys on way down. Returned to Karatu by about 6.30.

Extract ID: 577