William Wynn-Jones

Name ID 1595

See also

Nettelbeck, David A history of Arusha School, Tanzania
Page Number: 79


The Diocesan Council places on record its thankfulness to Almighty God for the life and ministry of the Right Rev. William Wynn-Jones M.A, Second Bishop of Central Tanganyika, born at Swansea, Wales in 1900. He went to Australia as a young man and took his M.A. at Sydney. He was on the Staff of Trinity Grammar School, Dulwich Hill when he was ordained in 1925- He came to the newly formed Diocese of Central Tanganyika in 1928 and soon after arrival. was appointed Principal of the C.M.S. Huron Teachers Training College, Kongwa and District Superintendent, Kongwa/Mpapwa.

From his earliest days he had a great sympathy with and burden for the down and out and lonely Africans, town stiffs and jail birds, and sometimes took them. on as houseboys simply to help them. He wrote "Barua za Msafiri" dealing with the problems that young men away from home would have to face. It had a wide sale.

In 1950 he was appointed Education Secretary which gave him contact with the Department at Dar es Salaam. In 1933, he married Ruth Minton Taylor, a mistress at the Mvumi Girls School who came out in 1931 and throughout the years that followed she was his devoted helpmate, who with their own 4 children to look after, nevertheless had a great care for the Europeans and Africans among whom she and her husband worked.

When the Arusha school was planned, the Governor, Sir Stewart Symes, especially asked for Mr. Wynn-Jones as first Headmaster, which position he took when the school was, opened in 1933. For the next 10 years he exercised a wide influence over European children and parents but his love and care for Africans never waned. In 1934 through a bequest from an African, Jackson,, whom. he helped during his final illness, he opened Jackson House at Arusha as a hostel. for passing Africans. In 1939 he was appointed Chancellor of the Diocese.

In the 1939-45 was he was Chaplain to the forces and he had a never-ending care for soldiers wherever he met them. He would take services in 3rd class carriages as he travelled on the railways and might often be seen with his head bowed in prayer with an African soldier just wherever they happened to have met. In 1943 he was consecrated as first Assistant Bishop and as such travelled widely among troops in North Africa and Palestine. On return from his consecration by the Archbishop of Canterbury, he was appointed District Superintendent Mvumi. In 1945, he was appointed Vicar General and in 1947 second Bishop of Central Tanganyika on the retirement of the Right Rev. G .A. Chambers D.D.

During his short episcopate perhaps his greatest single pre-occupation was the development of a ministry to the Groundnut Scheme workers - both black and white at Kanwgwa and Urambo, and his final illness was precipitated by his getting up from bed with a broken arm to open the Church built by the Europeans at Kongwa. He died at Dar es Salaam on the 29th of May, 1950.

He will be remembered outstandingly as one to whom to a superlative degree people mattered and whether at home or travelling in his own diocese or visiting an adjacent Diocese and whether in mud or grass huts, out in the bush, or on the mountains or whether in trains or on the back streets of the big town, he was. ever seeking and saving that which was lost.

Extract ID: 4958

See also

Nettelbeck, David A history of Arusha School, Tanzania
Page Number: 23c


A school for expatriate children operated by missionaries who had come to the country to work with Africans was unusual to say the least and a salutary experience for both the settlers and the missionaries, What kind of school could we expect to emerge?

Would it resemble comparable schools in Kenya? Even today [1974], 11 years after independence, there are many expensive, exclusive and private preparatory schools in Kenya for expatriates and wealthy Africans. It is a matter of geographical accident that they happen to be in Africa as their staff, curricula and ethos are single-mindedly British, and they prepare pupils for the Common Entrance Examination

At Arusha School less than half the pupils were British and Wynn Jones believed that a school should be rooted in the host country while drawing on the best from overseas, rather than any one national system.

The School did not attract initially the children of Government and commercial officials who could afford an education in a boarding school in Britain, A group of such pupils from overseas and in contact with the outside world would have given a different tone and an academic stimulus to the school. The absence of such a group was regretted by Lace, the temporary Headmaster after Wynn Jones, who wrote in 1944: �The academic standard was not high and some failed to pass into Kenya schools. They then tended to stay on at Arusha. school: hence the number of older children, for parents were not keen to take children away at age fourteen, � The school was subsidised by the Government and one result of this was that British parents, being able to pay more, tended to send their children either to one of the few private schools in the Territory or to Kenya. This was unfortunate as a larger British element would have been for the good of the whole�.

Wynn Jones had a majority of pupils from the very isolated homes of farmers who were struggling to establish themselves. Many had never been to school before, and came from semi-literate or non-English speaking homes. When he first moved to Ngare Nairobi to prepare for the transfer to Arusha, the Headmaster wrote, "We have had our first contact with the serious repercussions which African life brings upon European children. The contact with house-boys and ayahs had left its all too penetrating mark on their outlook and customs, and it was seen ever more clearly how necessary it was to provide a new atmosphere and environment for white children living in this country."

Lace commented similarly in 1943: �What I wondered was whether I should ever succeed in inculcating a decent attitude to life among these strange, slap dash, un-English East African children�.

One of the things the missionary teachers found most difficult was the attitude among many of the children that the white man was �Lord of creation�, and that Africans were there to be ordered around at his pleasure. Even in 1970, children would drop papers in the school yard with the comment, �The boy (meaning the elderly African cleaner) will pick it up�. This attitude is not unexpected in a colonial society; the significant point here is that the staff in the early years of the school were aware of it, and tried to do something to guide the attitudes of the children towards their �host� country.

Extract ID: 4930

See also

Christ Church Arusha
Extract Date: 1934-35

Wynnn-Jones, W.

Chaplain of Christ Church Arusha

Extract ID: 4596

See also

Arusha School Headmasters
Extract Date: 1934-42

W Wynne Jones

Arusha School Headmaster

Extract ID: 4578

See also

Nettelbeck, David A history of Arusha School, Tanzania
Page Number: 23a


Wynn Jones had come to Tanganyika in 1928 and at first held the appointment of Principal of a training college for African pastors at Kongwa. He won the respect of Government officials in the next years when he acted as a district superintendent of mission schools in his area. When he was transferred to open Arusha School, the secondment from the mission was meant to be temporary (some records mention two years); the mission reports from 1934 to 1940 list Wynn Jones and his wife at Kongwa station and Miss Vance at Mpwapwa with this comment in parenthesis, �Services temporarily lent to Arusha European School�.

Extract ID: 4928

See also

Nettelbeck, David A history of Arusha School, Tanzania
Page Number: 20


A mission conference in 1929 expressed the hope that the Government of Tanganyika will adopt the same policy of cooperation with Missions with regard to European education as it does in regard to African education.

Various consultations were going on as to the need, type and best place for a now school. In 1931, there were 58 European children. in Northern Tanganyika receiving no schooling beyond private tuition at home, and the annual report stated the Government 's intention to build a new European school at Arusha in the Northern Province. In order to work this school as economically as possible, it was hoped to complete an arrangement with the Bishop of Central Tanganyika under which he would conduct the school as an agent for the Government. The staff appointed would be subject to the approval of the Government and. the working and management of the school would be under Government inspection.

It is apparent that after the abortive attempt in 1928, and with the stringency of the depression, plans were much more carefully laid. It was not until 1932 that the Governor, Sir Stewart Symes approached Bishop Chambers with a definite offer to build a �first class and modern school and equip it�, if the Bishop would find the staff and manage it .

There is no doubt that this �new era of cooperation� between church and state was partly motivated by the shortage of Government funds; the mission teachers were paid approximately one fifth of the government rate.

The Headmaster Wynn Jones saw it more positively. He wrote, �The efficiency, finance and stability of a Government school has so often lacked the personal element and spiritual contact which is so necessary a part of all true education�. The Bishop wrote in a quarterly letter, �It is essential that we should give Christian education to European children in this territory for they will be the future leaders. The white man cannot help being a leader here. The African imitates him in all he does and if we can inculcate the ideals of Christ in the lives of our white children, then Christian civilization is much more likely to come to this land�. The Greek community promised support and the Bishop continued, �I hope the school will be a little commonwealth of nations including German, Dutch, and Greek children. If the boys and girls of these various communities learn to live, work and play together in school life, they will all the better be able to inform a united community in the future, having the welfare of all at heart and the spirit of esprit d'corps a reality among them!�

The Bishop also hoped that the school would bring the church into contact with Europeans in the territory and hopefully win sympathy from them in missionary work.

So at the request of the Government, Rev. William Wynn Jones was seconded from the mission, sent on early overseas leave and, having newly married, he moved in 1933 to the Ngare Nairobi school to prepare the nucleus there for the move to Arusha. Miss Martha Vance a missionary nurse was also sent on early leave, to return as Matron.

On 22nd May 1934, with Miss Vance as matron and Wynn Jones as Headmaster, the Arusha School opened in its �palatial buildings�. It had been designed for 48 boarders, 24 girls and 24 boys, and 30 day pupils. It opened with 33 boarders, and by the end of the year the enrolment had risen to 41 plus 6 day pupils. (See Appendix F.)

Extract ID: 4927

See also

McFarland, Alan Photos of Arusha School
Page Number: 01
Extract Date: 1936

The School Staff

Extract ID: 5007

See also

McFarland, Alan Photos of Arusha School
Page Number: 05
Extract Date: 1936

Prize giving day

Extract ID: 5002

See also

Read, David Beating about the Bush
Page Number: 020
Extract Date: 1938

corporal punishment

I had company on the journey, a German boy by the name of Kurt Hunke, who was a few months older then me and had been to school in Europe. He was tall, fair, good looking and quite an athlete and was also very advanced scholastically, speaking excellent English. We got to know and like each other on the four-day trip to school, and my own standing at school was much improved by his friendship.

The older boys were divided into the bullies and the others and, although I was still a target for the former, they did not try anything when my friends were about. In the carpentry shop one day I saw one of the day-boys removing some tools and as only a handful of us were allowed in the workshop without a master, I told him to put the tools back, otherwise the privileged few would be blamed. His reply was to let me know that he did not take orders from "white kaffirs", which inevitably led to a fight. Others came running to watch but when I began to bleed furiously from a wound behind my ear the fight was stopped.

The boy ran away and was not seen for the rest of the week but when Donald and Charlie Stevens reported to the headmaster that they had seen him use a nail in the fight, the boy was sent for and given corporal punishment. The boy was Greek, and the punishment was given in the presence of his father, who waved his arms about dramatically and gave loudly his low opinion of the British. Mr. Wynne-Jones, the headmaster, understood no Greek and carried on regardless with the caning of the Hellenic backside. The boy was made to apologise to me afterwards, and in the perverse way of youth we later became quite good friends.

Extract ID: 4181

See also

Read, David Beating about the Bush
Page Number: 023
Extract Date: 1938

Tunnelling in the school grounds

For some time tunnelling in the school grounds from the river bank had been carried out by a group of five senior boys. When several of these left the school, interest waned and the tunnels were neglected, but during my second year the Tunnelling Committee decided to revive the work. They invited three new members to join them and to my surprise I was amongst them. I was given a long lecture on secrecy and hard work but when I asked what the tunnels were for, no one seemed to know. They just thought it was good idea and would be first class for midnight feasts, although it is worth considering that at the time any explanation would have satisfied me such was my pride to have been included in the secret mission. When I was younger I had experienced acute claustrophobia when I first wriggled down a porcupine hole and I must admit I did not look forward to digging in a confined space but after a few days I grew accustomed to it. At the end of the first week we had cleared all the fallen debris and boxed in the soft sides.

We were ready to start on new ground and very soon came across hard, impacted soil, which was tough-going. Sweating as we worked we realised there was a shortage of fresh air, so a small chimney was opened which also let in some light but this part of the tunnel then collapsed and had to be cleared, leaving us with a large space, which we named our feasting room. At about this time we discovered there was another party tunnelling away a little above and across our front. Jeff and I had just finished our stint at the face and were in the wash-house when Charlie ran in to say we must go back to the tunnel as there had been an earth fall and two fellows were trapped inside. It alarmed us to realise that the ventilating hole was on the wrong side of the collapse and we fought down our fear as we ran for the river.

The quickest way to rescue the trapped pair would be through the rival tunnel but we could not waste time searching for the other team to seek their permission, so we clambered straight into their tunnel, Charlie leading the way with a torch. The narrow entrance led into a large cave and, in the light of our torch, eight very surprised faces caught in the middle of a feast turned to glare at us. There were two girls and six boys in the party and had there been room for manoeuvre they would have certainly have roughed us up, but as soon as they heard the reason for our invasion, their hostility was forgotten and they set about helping us. Fortunately the collapse had been from the surface, allowing some air to reach the trapped boys, but the tunnel was too narrow to turn round in and all they could hope to do was to move backwards. When they found they could go no further, they panicked and it was with great relief that we were able to clear away the small amount of earth which separated the two tunnels and get them to safety.

Shocked by this near-tragic experience, we gathered outside in the bright sunlight with ashen faces and agreed a temporary halt to our excavations. Inevitably the story leaked out and we were thoroughly cross-examined by the headmaster and the parents of the two girls, although it should be mentioned that it was established that the girls were there only for the feast and not for any scandalous reason. We were told to attend the headmaster's study the next morning before assembly and that we should be prepared to be sent home for good. However, in the event, the morning brought us three strokes of the cane from Mr. Wynne-Jones' practised hand and the girls were sent home for the rest of the term.

Extract ID: 4183

See also

Nettelbeck, David A history of Arusha School, Tanzania
Page Number: 25


Wynn Jones had no previous guide to academic standards; the children had little or no academic background; some were much older physically than mentally; and there was a wide spread of ages in each class. Right from the start children were entered for the Cambridge Junior and Preliminary examinations, though the Preliminary was dropped after two years.

The Headmaster wrote his own syllabus; and when Mbeya School (an equivalent boarding school in the south of Tanzania) opened in 1942, in buildings vacated by a German School, he went there to consult with the Headmaster; and what they submitted to the Education Department became a basic curriculum for European education in the Territory.

Wynn Jones gave the Swahili language an important place on the curriculum �so that the children would in the future be able to speak correctly to those who work for and with them�. He was very proud of the fact that in 1941 the school gained the first 3 places in East Africa in a Swahili essay competition.

By 1938, the enrolment had risen to 73 and the Government let the contract for a 2 storied. dormitory block at a cost of �9,352. This was opened at the end of 1939 and doubled the number of boarding places available. Roughly one third of the pupils were British, one quarter Greek and the rest a mixture of twelve European nationalities. There were no secondary education facilities in Tanganyika for Europeans, but the Government paid for travel to and subsidized the fees at Kenya schools. An inter governmental agreement formalized this in 1943 for 90 pupils at a cost of �100 per place paid by the Tanganyika Government, with parents then paying in addition the same fees as Kenya parents. In 1950 the cost was fixed at �198 and in 1954 �270 of which the parents paid half; and grants of �50 and later �100 were paid for pupils who attended private secondary schools anywhere outside the territory.

A primary school was opened in 1951 with the Overseas Food Corporation Groundnut scheme at Kongwa; and when in 1954 the scheme collapsed and buildings were available, this became a full secondary school, it later transferred to new buildings in Iringa, in 1958 under the grand name of St Michael's and St George's School. Government expenditure on European education in the decade of the 1950s is detailed in Appendix K.

To prepare for entrance to those secondary schools pupils were entered for the Kenya Preliminary Examination (KPE) which was a selective secondary school entrance examination. But what was to be done with those who failed the examination, and whose parents could not afford to send them to overseas schools? The concept of �poor whites� in tropical Africa was politically unacceptable, and parents were not keen to take children away from school until they were employable. Some therefore stayed on at Arusha School to the age of 16 or more, and this of course compounded the disciplinary, social and academic problems with which the staff had to cope.

Wynn Jones was due to go on leave in 1939 and Col. A.F. Lace, on secondment from Monkton Coombe School in England arrived in September to take over from him. Because of the outbreak of war Wynn Jones was reluctant to leave, so for 2 months, the 2 men were joint Headmasters until Lace was called up for the Kings African Rifles and Wynn Jones continued until Lace was released from the army in June 1943.

Extract ID: 4931

See also

Read, David Beating about the Bush
Page Number: 041
Extract Date: 1939

Last year at school

Eventually I had to return to school, but things were a little different than before. During my third (and last) year at school in 1939, when I was in the senior form, tension between the Germans and other European nationals in Tanganyika was running high. These feelings filtered down to the schools too, particularly between the German school at Oldeani and ours, which was English, at Arusha. As the inter-school sports were due at the end of the term, it was decided to organise a half-term camping safari for the twelve oldest boys in each school, in the hopes of paving the way towards a friendlier entente on Sports Day. Mr. Wynne-Jones had instigated the safari and had gone to considerable pains to make it a success but unfortunately, he did not take into account the affects of European politics and group rivalries on the minds of boys. On our arrival at Ngorongoro, it was found that the so-called "boys" from Oldeani were mostly between seventeen and nineteen years old and appeared to be fully trained soldiers. The only games they would play were military ones, which were all they knew, and they spent a great deal of their time attending politicised lectures in German, doing military exercises and parading. We were told to try and co-operate with them, but when they taunted us by saying that soon Germany would take back Tanganyika and kick us all out, we inevitably resorted to fisticuffs. It was a miserable weekend, with our having to listen to insults and pretending to fraternise with them, in the name of international harmony.

The only thing the trip did was to increase our determination to beat the Oldeani School when Sports Day came around, a victory we were to achieve very well. The Greek school also took part and, in fact, the German school earned the lowest marks, with Arusha a contented second, behind the Olympian efforts of the Greeks. A special song had been composed, honouring all three countries, and this was supposed to be sung at the end of the three-day event and initially, the Germans refused to join in, only reluctantly doing so after a lot of persuasion and a few threats. The whole affair opened the eyes of the authorities to the covert politicisation that was going on at Oldeani under the guise of education.

Extract ID: 4190

See also

McFarland, Alan Photos of Arusha School
Page Number: 13
Extract Date: 1942


Extract ID: 5003

See also

Nettelbeck, David A history of Arusha School, Tanzania
Page Number: 26
Extract Date: 1934-64


To what extent does a headmaster leave his mark upon a school? In the case of the first two heads of Arusha School, who served the school for over 28 years between them from 1934 - 1964, the influence was considerable and each left his own indelible impression on the structure, organisation and ethos of the place.

It must be said right at the outset that Wynn Jones did not have outstanding gifts of organisation or administration. Also in the years 1940 - 42 he had been already nominated Assistant Bishop of the Diocese, there was a chronic staff shortage in the early years of the war when enrolments increased because many children could not return to Europe, and he was part time chaplain to the forces as well as Headmaster of the school. It is little wonder then that Lace found the school not well organised, only fair academically, and sloppy in discipline. In true military fashion he introduced daily physical education and tightened up the rules.

However, those who knew Wynn Jones comment universally on his gifts of leadership, personal magnetism and outstanding empathy with people.

The original school building, with 2 internal quadrangles, enclosed under one roof quarters for all staff, boys' and girls' dormitories, classrooms, kitchen and dining room with the headmaster's home on the first floor. It was quite literally a family unit with staff having all meals with the pupils, and the school kitchen even remaining open through the holidays for the teachers.

At a time when the British community had little social intercourse with European aliens, let alone Africans, Wynn Jones' home was open to all. There was a time during the war when some British residents reported him to the Governor as being anti-British, because he gave a bed to some passing German and Greek travellers.

Many of the pupils said, �He loved us like one of his own children�, and stories abound about how he welded the school together as a family. One notable story comes from the day war was declared, He called an assembly of the school and while the children were moving in selected, apparently at random, the German children to retrieve his hat from the far side of the playing field. While they were away, he talked to the others, announced the declaration of war and said, �Here at Arusha School we have always been a family; we don't know what will happen in the future or what will become of our houses and families, but here, we are a family still and will treat each other that way�.

His role as a loving, gentle man and a reconciler may be seen in the bridge-building he attempted between the communities. For example between 1934 and 1939 he organised an annual conference of teachers from the European schools in the Northern province. The conference was informal with no official status, but teachers from Arusha School, the 2 Greek Schools, 4 Dutch schools and. 2 German schools met together to read papers and discuss their problems.

He also organised and hosted an annual athletics competition between these schools. In 1937 he led a combined camp in Ngorongoro Crater for the Arusha School Scout Troup and the Hitler Youth Movement from the Oldeani German School. He wrote in the school log. "This was a genuine effort to bring the boys of different nationalities together and to stem what was becoming a very tense position in Northern Tanganyika. The Governor was in every way enthusiastic about the move". Inter-community contacts continued during the war and included children from the Polish school for refugees newly settled near Arusha.

Extract ID: 4932

See also

nTZ Feedback
Extract Author: Hannah Stevenson
Page Number: 2008 01 28


I am hosting sisters Cecile & Julia Popp here in Tanzania in the first week of February, coming 'home' to retrace their routes. Their parents were German farmers in Babati & Arusha and the family was interned in Oldeani 'Concentration Camp' during the Second World War, before being deported to Zimbabwe. There are a number of sisters, some of whom were born on Lutheran Missions between 1930 - 1939.

I am looking for ANY information on Oldeani - the whereabouts of the camp, the set-up (at present, this is a somewhat controversial issue with some remembering it as merely a group of German-inhabited farms 'watched over' by the British, and others producing old letters sent from Oldeani to Germany in 1943 with a postal stamp saying 'Concentration Camp, Oldeani via Arusha'.), as another sister Leonie was born in 'the Bundie's guest hut'. We plan to drive out to present-day Oldeani and 'look around' so any more information would be highly appreciated!

The family also went to Arusha School when Wynn-Jones was the Headmaster. I am trying to prepare a collection book of memories for them, so if anyone remembers them specifically and would like to get in touch, PLEASE DO. I know they would be so delighted.

Thank you for this facinating website!

Extract ID: 5554

See also

Nettelbeck, David A history of Arusha School, Tanzania
Page Number: 28


Wynn Jones left in 1943 for a long overdue leave and a long overdue consecration as Assistant Bishop. Colonel Lace took his place for 18 months, then at the end of the war returned to England and Monkton Coombe. Rev. Neville Langford Smith, now Bishop of Nakuru in Kenya, was appointed Acting Headmaster in 1945 and held the post for 17 months. More details of the life of Wynn Jones are recorded in Appendix M

Enrolments had gradually increased during the war and in 1945, a new burst of optimism and enthusiasm for development brought new settlers, new commercial enterprise and the Overseas Food Corporation for the Kongwa Groundnut Scheme which proved abortive.

The school had grown well beyond the resources of the mission to staff it, and the need was felt for some kind of board to advise the Bishop in its management. The Diocesan Council recommended in 1945, �that a Board of Governors, be formed to advise and assist in the administration of Arusha School�, and also asked the Bishop to bring before the Board of Governors when formed the urgent necessity of immediate action to secure adequate and efficient staff for Arusha School.

Another factor which became relevant was the attitude of the settlers. There had always been some antipathy between the missionaries and the settlers which Wynn Jones in a personal way had helped to alleviate, Nevertheless it was true that the Europeans had their own chaplains and churches and in the 1930s pressed for their own Anglican Province. A survey carried out in 1937 reported that non-missionary European opinion was �solidly in favour of a province and that as quickly as possible. This was governed partly be a desire to see these East African dioceses freed from what they would regard as missionary control. It would also be an opportunity of increasing British control, prestige and power, and in some cases the settlers would welcome this as a way of keeping both the missionary and the native in his place�.

There was little wonder then that some of the settlers were unhappy about mission control of a Government school for their children. There was no direct or organised parental pressure, but at a meeting of parents, concern was expressed about the quality of the staff because teachers who accepted such low rates of pay could not possibly be good! Some letters to the press in August 1943 commented on the position, the following being typical: �The situation whereby the Diocese of Central Tanganyika acts as an agent for the Government in providing staff at lower rates of pay than the Government could offer, was accepted in 1933 as to best way of providing European education at the sort of price Tanganyika at that time was able to pay�. Another letter from a parent in the same month said, "�t would appear that the Government is shirking its responsibility for European education at the expense of the missions.�

Lace in his speech day in 1944 tried to answer these criticisms as follows: �The European population owes much to the Bishop, To some, the religious basis of the school can make no appeal. I am convinced that it is the only basis on which a school can really succeed. I have been happy to work under the Bishop and try to run the school on that basis�.

Extract ID: 4933

See also

nTZ Feedback
Extract Author: Susan Bailey, nee Wynn Jones
Page Number: 2007 03 30
Extract Date: 1950

Email from Susan Bailey to Lise Larsen

Dear Lise,

I met Geoff Hoad at St Johns, Reid,A.C.T. I live in Canberra with my family. Geoff and I were talking about Tanzania and my trip in Oct.2006 and he gave me your name.

My siblings and I were born in Arusha, as our parents were missionaries with C.M.S. who were asked to build a school for the European children as they were called then. Dad was the first Headmaster in1931 - we lived upstairs for 10 years.

Our surame was Wynn Jones - Dad- William, and Mum - Ruth.

We then went to Mvumi mission station near Dodoma. After a years leave in Australia we moved to Dodoma. Dad was the Bishop then. He was consecrated in 1942.

In 1950 Dad had a car accident on his way to consecrate a church at Kongwa. This led to kidney problems,and sadly we lost our beloved Dad that May. At the end of 1950 we moved to Australia as Mum was born here, Dad was Welsh.

None of the family had been back until last year - 56 years it took for the sudden time to be right. We had a wonderful experience - full of joy and memories which can only be experienced as siblings. We met people who recalled Mum and Dad, saw our old homes - not quite as we had them, and felt so much at home. Tim,a brother could recall swahilli so much, he became the spokes person for us at some churches and places we went to.The people could recognise we had learnt the language well.

My brothers went to Duke of York - now Lenana School.and Prince of Wales - now Nairobi School. I was due to go to a Kenyan girls school in 1951, but we had left Africa by then.

I would love to know what your parents were in Africa for. Were they born there? We went past Oldeani, Moshi, Merangu - with memories of childhood.

Would like to hear from you sometime please,as there are a lot of Tanzanians around. We met a family we had not seen since 1945 up at Budrum-Qld.

Thank you for your email. I was about to write because Lise Larsen send me a copy of your email to her (sent 1 March?). I wanted to ask you permission to add this email to the web site

Good to hear from you.When were you at Arusha School?

It was interesting to go to board there in 1949-1950,after having lived there as a child upstairs. I feel so much a part of Arusha,and our trip there was special.

You may put my letter on the web. We tended to loose contact with people when we came to Australia,but have in the last few months come across families we knew on the mission field.

Extract ID: 5356

See also

nTZ Feedback
Extract Author: Naomi Wilson
Page Number: 2007 12 22
Extract Date: 1960's

Arusha - the School - memories - the tortoise - Bill and Ruth Wynn Jones

My siblings and I returned to Africa after some 56 years last October.And what a memory trip it was.

We were all born at Arusha, and lived upstairs at the school with our parents Bill and Ruth Wynn Jones who you have so kindly included in your history - and for which I thank you.

Found the information on our parents so informative as a backgound for us - thank you.

You mentioned Dick Feurhead in you history - he was my godfather and was of course involved with the school. Just last year I met his wife Shirley - not having seen her for 56 years - she is living in Australia - and we shared memories of Arusha.

Found the tortoise that our father introduced to the schaool, and of course have 'the photo' straddled on its back. There were originally two which dad brought to the school. We were welcomed by the staff and went upstairs to our old home.

Found the pool (in need of repair) which dad cnstructed in the early days - the school in many respects is still the same as I recall it as a young child. My siblings - John Tim and Sue all attended the school - I attended as an overnight visitor many times when our father visited the school after he had moved on to Diocesan work as Bishop.

Was to have attended the year we returned to Australia after our father died. We visited the home our parents had purchased (with view to retirement) whilst at Arusha. No doubt Arusha will call us again not that we have been back.

Extract ID: 5536

See also

nTZ Feedback
Extract Author: Hugh David Morgan
Page Number: 2008 12 07
Extract Date: 07-Dec-2008

Bishop Wynne Jones

Bishop Wynne Jones was my grandmother's brother. I have a vague recollection of him holding a service in our home in Swansea circa 1949 when I was about 4 years old. I would love to contact his children whom I believe went to Australia after his death. If anyone knows of their whereabouts please fell free to pass on my email address.

Extract ID: 5920