Name ID 1623
Extract Author: Nyamanoko Bwire and Staff Writer
Page Number: 275
Extract Date: 20 June 2003
This week, the Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) Church is observing its 100th Anniversary of gospel ministering and community service in Tanzania.
The church’s first team of missionaries consisting of W. Ehlers and A C. Enns from Germany, sailed into the Tanga port in early 1900s, before trekking on foot up to the Pare mountains in Kilimanjaro, where they established the first SDA mission in 1903.
From Kilimanjaro, the missionaries moved onto the Lake Victoria zone and put up another mission station in Mara region, and later Mwanza.
Today the Seventh Day Adventist faith is widely spread in Tanzania, rejoicing with over six dioceses, 1,407 churches and more than 400,000 followers.
Arusha is the national headquarters of SDA in Tanzania, with head offices located in Njiro area of the municipality.