28 March, 2024, 08:38

News:

30 Nov 2019 We've upgraded the Forum software to the latest update, and new users should now be able to register and sign on again.

The tortoise (kobe)

Started by nTZ, 07 July, 2009, 17:39

Previous topic - Next topic

nTZ

Any photos? 

How old is it? - Always looking for old photos.

Is it still alive? Always looking for current photos.

nTZ

This one sent by Alan McFarland, maybe from the 1940's

"The famous school tortoise. The rider is unknown to me."

nTZ

This from Anoop Nathwani in 2004

nTZ

This from Rodney Holland in 2005.

"Obligatory picture of tortoise!"

David Marsh

David Marsh - I use this account for personal postings.  Otherwise I use ntz for administration.

mikewb

Didn't there used to be two Tortoise?
Mike Brown.

Naomi Wilson

The Tortoises were first brought to the Arusha school by my father who was the first headmaster - William Wynn Jones. For some reason he gave one away - and to this day I do not know why!!
In 2007 my siblings and I made a return to Africa and found (oh joy!!) the tortoise which had been ridden by my son Ben some eight years previously - and my neice Catherins some 10 years previously. We now have wonderful  photos of us four Wynn Jones kids having our ride!! Will send them when I can find out how to insert them!.
Naomi Wilson

David Marsh

So if they were brought by your father, that would be in the 1930's.  Any idea of how old they were then, or where they came from.  My guess is that they are Aldabra Tortoises from the Aldabra Atoll in the Seychelles, or maybe from Zanzibar, where there is said to be a small population.

[btw, to add pictures, click on "Additional Options" when you are making a post]
David
David Marsh - I use this account for personal postings.  Otherwise I use ntz for administration.

Ashdown

The tortoise was there '64 to '67 when I was at Arusha - we used to polish our shoes on the back of the shell for which I got the usual stinging smacks on the calf from Miss Parry. Ouch!!

Naomi Wilson

Trust these arrive safely David
Naomi Wilson

Naomi Wilson

Naomi Wilson

Naomi Wilson

Naomi Wilson

From a comment by my mother Ruth Wynn Jones, the tortoises were (there were two in the beginning) about 80 years old when they arrived (circa 1937). Naomi Wilson (nee Wynn Jones)

Naomi Wilson

VALE the tortoise.
It had to happen some day.  I was advised a couple of days ago that the tortoise has died. How or when I do not know but will try to find out.
An end to a chapter in the Arusha School - SO many past students and othere with an interest in the school have visited and taken photos of the tortoise.
There were two tortoises taken to the School by my father who was the foundation Headmaster but I only knew one tortoise. What happened to the other on I do not know.
Naomi Wilson
naykw.wilson@gmail.com