29 March, 2024, 06:44

News:

30 Nov 2019 We've upgraded the Forum software to the latest update, and new users should now be able to register and sign on again.

2007 Feedback

Started by nTZ, 29 June, 2009, 11:26

Previous topic - Next topic

nTZ

See also

* Brian Duncan

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Hazel Redgrave
Extract Date: 08-Oct-2007
Lake Victoria Hotel (photograph with family)

Yes, that is the old Lake Victoria Hotel at Entebbe. If you enter that title in Google Images, you'll see an almost identical hotel frontage, albeit modernised.

Kind regards, Hazel.
Extract ID: 5484

See also

* Momella
    * Margarethe Trappe
    * Gerd von Lettow-Vorbeck

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Verena Hinsch
Page Number: 2007 01 18
Extract Date: 30 Jan 2007
movie about the life of Margarete Trappe and Momella

With great interest we read some of the comments with regard to Momella Farm.

On the 30th of January 2007 a movie about the life of Margarete Trappe and Momella will be shown on the German TV Channel (ZDF) all over the world and we are very excited about it.

The book: 'Am Fusse des Meru' was mentioned in one of your comments - it was written by Gerd von Lettow Vorbeck!

We are also glad to read that business around Momella, esp with the two owners of the farm (one from Namibia!) is going well. We were born in Namibia and our heart and soul are part of the wonderful African continent.

Verena and Manfred Hinsch

I wish I could see the film, and even more, I wish I knew German so as to be able to follow it, and many other works about Margaret Trappe and others in Tanzania.

I presume that it is Marlies and Jörg that you refer to, as the two owners of the farm because I see from http://www.hatarilodge.com/ueber_uns_und_kontakt.php that Marlies is from Namibia.

I know that they have been involved in the making of the film, so if you are not in touch with them, I'm sure they would welcome contact.

thanks for the mail. I've been in contact with Jörg and Marlies and am very happy that they had some involvement in the movie. Africa is a great place ... if ever you are able to visit, go see Namibia too - one of the greatest.

Regards, Verena
Extract ID: 5187

See also

* Arusha: New Arusha Hotel
    * Tony O'Brian
    * Nicky Renouf

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Nicky Renouf
Page Number: 2007 01 19
Extract Date: 1970
Executive assistant manager at The New Arusha

I was executive assistant manager at The New Arusha , for about 10 months in 1970.

I worked for African Tours and Hotels, and spent the time there as there were problems (aren't there always) with my Kenya Work Permit.

I was only 20/21 and fresh out of hotel college. The previous young expats had decided to leave (due to the hard conditions imposed on us) and disappeared overnight, their tickets being paid for by some guests.

The Hotel was being run in a largly despotic manner, by Tony O'Brian, known to all as Mkaki due to the highly starched safari gear he used to wear. He had the most sophisticated spy network , and knew exactly what we had been up to , almost before we did it!

He was an ex hunter, and well I remember shooting with him at West Kilimanjaro,Tony sitting on a shooting stick , quaffing from his hip flask at the same time as effortessly shooting large numbers of sand grouse.

We worked extremely hard, often from 7 am till 2 the next morning, and that included his hard working wife who was I believe called Phil.

There are any number of stories about my time there, when parts of the old building were still in use, greeting the King of Denmark, the tanzanite smuglers shooting at each other as they went round the roundabout.

Lots of stories, but not a place I recall as being the happiest posting of my career.

Nicky Renouf
Extract ID: 5185

external link

See also

* Margarethe Trappe

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Lorraine Chittock
Page Number: 2007 02 02
Extract Date: 2000
I met a hunter

I was wondering if you might be able to help.

I met a hunter just outside Arusha/Mt. Meru's National Park back in 2000. (I lived in Kenya for five years.) He told me a Baroness was buried there and the man who killed Mt. Meru's last elephant. I came across some gravestones the same day.

Is any of this related to the Von Trappe family? I've looked on the internet and can't find a thing. If you don't know, do you know anyone who would? I'm a writer and it's a tidbit of information I'd like to put in my next book. Any leads appreciated!

I'm sure the "Baroness" would be Margarete Trappe (no von I think). This extract says "Popular belief holds that when Mrs von Trapp, the Austrian owner of Momella farm West Meru, died after having lived there for many years, a herd of elephants of which she was very fond trumpeted mournfully outside her house." http://www.ntz.info/gen/n00625.html#id04394

So it wouldn't have been her who shot the last Elephant! In fact I'm not sure that anyone did in that I saw elephants up near Mt Meru's crater rim in 1994, and I'm pretty sure they are still around.

Best contact to find out more would be Marlies and Jorge who own the Hatari Lodge just inside the Park. Http://www.hatarilodge.com/ueber_uns_und_kontakt.php

They have far more knowledge about the history of the area and of Margarete Trappe - in fact they have been involved in the making of a film about her which has recently shown on German television.

Also up on the mountain near the fig tree arch there is the remains of an old hunting lodge. I'm desparately trying to remember the name of the man who owned it. I think it was someone called Nagel - but I'll need to search my notes to confirm. Maybe he hunted elephant until it seemed there were none left.

Try to find Momella: an African Game Paradise, by von Rogister. That will tell you more about Margarete Trappe. (abebooks.com has a few copies).

Please let me know if you find out more.

No, I guess she wouldn't have been the one to shoot the last elephant, would she???!!!! Yes, I saw that extract on your site, it reminded me of the last scene in Out of Africa with the two lions cavorting near Dennis Finch Hattons resting place. Perhaps all for drama, but all good stuff!

Thank you for the lead for Marlies and Jorge, I'll contact them now.

You have a wonderful site, a really dedication of time and love. all my best to you, Lorraine
Extract ID: 5186

See also

* Mark Morgan
    * Gaynor Watkins

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Mark Morgan
Page Number: 2007 02 05
Extract Date: 2004
Arusha Visit

Hi I have just read the Arusha School information again and it was really great reading.

I have emailed you before, about my time at Arusha, my farther was one of the teachers. My wife and I passed through Arusha in 2004 and where able to visit the school, and indead our old home. The school has really changed but it is 50 years since we lived there.

I noticed from the web that a very great friend Gaynor Watkins was trying to contact me please give her my email address, as it is a long time since we have met and our familys where realy good friends, It was with the Watkins that I stayed while my mother was in the hospital in Arusha having my brother. We were able to have a quick tour of Arusha and glad to see that the Hospital was still there!.
Extract ID: 5170

See also

* Maps

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Stewart Galloway
Page Number: 2007 02 06
Extract Date: 6 Feb 2007
Listing the maps

Listing the Maps is tantalizing. How can I download an electronic copy? I am trying to follow the travels of my daughter while she is in Tanzania and Kenya.

Thanks very much. Stew

Ngorongoro: Tourist Map & Guide - Main Side 1999. Enlargement of Northern TZ 1994.

Find the page with the map you want.

E.g. http://www.ntz.info/gen/b00489.html

Left click on the map itself, and a larger map opens in the window.

Http://www.ntz.info/picturesbig/p03969-b00489-nca-harms99-a.jpg

Right mouse click on that, and (depending on which browser you are using) select "save image as", and you can save it to your PC. Use back button to return to listings.

This technique applies to all pictures on any website.

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I've done the saveas. However, the map text is unreadable.

Any other options?

Thanks. Stew

Well, they're not really meant to be readable, more to illustrate what exists. If I provided a higher resolution version I think I'd been infringing copyright etc etc.

Short of buying printed Maps, have you tried Google Earth?

Look for the overlay from http://www.tracks4africa.com/t4a_google.asp

Thanks so much. I guess I could crack open the wallet and buy a map but I thought there must be some free resources out there if I just dug a little. I'm trying to follow my daughter's semester abroad in Kenya and Tanzania. Thanks again! Stew
Extract ID: 5184

See also

* Arusha School Alumni
    * Alan Holton
    * Jane Holton

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Jane Amanda Holton (now Cawson)
Page Number: 2007 02 10
Extract Date: 1957-63
Jane Amanda Holton (now Cawson) Arusha School 1957-1963

What fun I have had this morning reading through your wonderful site! So many names I remember and so many memories.

I would love to hear from anyone who remembers me and to share my experiences. I have a few photos and put the one of the whole school one at some stage a few years ago!

My father was Alan Holton and he was a tea planter Ngambo Tea Estates near Amami.

I went to Arusha School from 1957 to 1963 (I think!)I have been in touch with Sarah Holland since and Paul Carlin, but I have been trying to get in rouch with Rosemary Goodman - the family had a coffee estate on the slopes of Kili - was it Sana Juu?

I have quite a few photos of her. I am at present trying to write about my life - because my children keep asking me about it! If anyone else has any photos I would love to swap! I am going back to Arusha and should be there round about the 2nd April 2007 and hope to get back to see the school. I hear that the tortoise is still going!

Thanks for bring back so many memories, sad and happy ones!

Ps

yes, just found the photo sent some time ago. I am on the far right of the photo - bottom row!! not sure what the date was - any ideas? Jane
Extract ID: 5183

See also

* Jill Appleby
    * Arusha School Alumni
    * Arusha: Amekas Spaghetti Factory
    * Stelio Stylianou

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Jill Appleby
Page Number: 2007 02 11
Extract Date: 1952-56
Jill Appleby: Arusha School 1952-56

I have just discovered your site - it is great to read up on so much.

I was at Arusha from 52-56 and was so disappointed when parents moved me to a UK convent at 11 although I finally managed to get to Iringa (St Michael's & St George's).

Memories are limited although I remember Mrs Hampshere teaching me to plait hair in the Brownies, the visit by Princess Margaret and how the tiny (even then) princess walked the whole of the length of the hall to the stage, then later going with the whole school to the parade somewhere in Arusha to see her again.

Also remember receiving the tackie, of course the tortoise, climbing the trees and many days spent in the san with tonsillitus.

Happy days! I remember going around a spagetti factory with a friend whose dad owned it. Not sure now of the name, but would love to make contact.

We revisited Arusha (2004) and stayed at the modernised New Arusha, visited the school (and saw the tortoise), met the Head and a few children. Hope to go back again sometime. Also went to the Anglican church on the Sunday, remember the times we walked there in crocodile fashion?

I have a load of lovely photos of the school, but am not sure if you have a website I could put them on. Would also love to see some of the others that folks have.

All the best Petra (was known as Jill Appleby in those days - Dad was in PWD)

Petra

We must have overlapped, in that I was at Arusha school from 1953-57.

I was a day boy, and so never did the crocodile to the church. But no need because my father was the rector, and so I like next door to the church. But I did hold open the hall door to let the Princess in!!

The spagetti factory must have been Amekas Macaroni Industry, owned by Mr. Stylianou (see http://www.ntz.info/gen/b00681.html). There appears to have been a Stelio Stylianou in the Kindergarten in 1956 (he won an art prize).

I want to update the web site to make it easier to add photos, meanwhile the best way is to ask you to send them to me. I'd add them as an album in your name, with cross links to wherever is appropriate, depending on how much you tell me about each photo.

Thanks for the recollections

Extract ID: 5177

See also

* Kidugala

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Samuel Fute
Page Number: 2007 02 11
Extract Date: 2007
from Kidugala

Nice and very useful information site.

I am Samuel, a Tanzanian, from Kidugala by origin.

I am very much fond of exploring and reading about Polish life before and while at Kidugala.

I would like to be in touch with Diane Winkler who wanted to write a book about it. May you help me to have her contacts so that I give my support on the information she migh need.

Good time friends,
Extract ID: 5182

See also

* Jill Appleby
    * Arusha: Christ Church

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Jill Appleby
Page Number: 2007 02 16
Extract Date: 2006
photo of the Cathedral

Thanks for getting back to me - I guess we must have met at Arusha sometime. Which house were you in? I was North House, also the motto in my day was 'Manner Maketh Man' and remember seeing it in the dining room for the older kids.

I am attaching a photo of the Cathedral (as it is now) where we used to go. I'll send some more sometime.

Take care

Petra McMahon ( was Jill Appleby)
Extract ID: 5176

See also

* Mark Morgan
    * Olmotonyi
    * Gaynor Watkins

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Gaynor Watkins
Page Number: 2007 02 16a
Arusha

I had heaps of pictures but unfortunately on my way back to Australia we stopped off in Mauritius and all my laptop, camera and video camera were stolen and I lost all my pictures. Was pretty heart broken.

I managed to find my old house up at Olmotonyi - will attach a photo of that as a friend of mine came with me that day and took a couple of pictures. I will send one to Mark as he and his family used to visit us every Sunday. Was wonderful to be back and I hope to return again. The Forestry school which my father started is now well established - he is now 83 but after my reports of the school he wants to go and see for himself so I said I would go to..

As it had been about 45 years since I had last visited Arusha I only recognised a few things - of course the clock, the school and little bits of the town.

Had a wonderful 5 days on safari too. I was able to do quite a bit of work over there and trained 90 people in suicide intervention - they were so grateful as suicide is such a taboo topic and most of the focus is on HIV and poverty. Some of the people I trained have now translated what I gave them into swahili and are going into the villages and schools - if i can get some funding would love to go back and follow it all up too.
Extract ID: 5171

See also

* Olmotonyi
    * Gaynor Watkins

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Page Number: 2007 02 16b
Olmotonyi

The first three photos of are of our house - used to be surrounded with a beautiful english garden but now there were quite a few goats around.

The house although it looked shabby was still in pretty good shape with lots of the original things there such as the water heater at the back of the house with two drums on top - you can see it in the second picture = we used to have to light a fire under the water and the water would go into the bath.
Extract ID: 5172

See also

* Olmotonyi
    * Gaynor Watkins

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Page Number: 2007 02 16c
Olmotonyi

The first three photos of are of our house - used to be surrounded with a beautiful english garden but now there were quite a few goats around.

The house although it looked shabby was still in pretty good shape with lots of the original things there such as the water heater at the back of the house with two drums on top - you can see it in the second picture = we used to have to light a fire under the water and the water would go into the bath.
Extract ID: 5173

See also

* Olmotonyi
    * Gaynor Watkins

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Page Number: 2007 02 16d
Olmotonyi

Extract ID: 5174

See also

* Arusha School
    * Gaynor Watkins

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Page Number: 2007 02 16e
Watkins Hall

The fourth picture is of the school building my father built - used to called Watkins Hall.
Extract ID: 5175

See also

* Margaret Barratt

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Margaret Thompson
Page Number: 2007 02 18
Margaret Thompson nee Barratt Oldest of Thora's Children

I was interested to read Marjories recollections, I haven't been able to access this site for some time due to isp probs'

[more on the Ulyate family feedback pages]
Extract ID: 5179

See also

* Jane Holton

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Jane Holton (now Cawson)
Page Number: 2007 02 27
Extract Date: 1958
Jane at Ngambo

I have been back in UK for the past 10 days, so only just got round to scanning in the photos I have of Arusha and some of my friends, Marjory and Rosy Goodman and a few others, but I can't remember their names.

Please feel free to do what you want with the photos - it would be nice to get in touch with Marjory and Rosy again is possible.
Extract ID: 5228

See also

* Majorie Borissow
    * Rosy Goodman

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Date: 1959
Marjory and Rosy Goodman Arusha School Pepper Trees

Extract ID: 5229

See also

* Majorie Borissow
    * Rosy Goodman
    * Jane Holton

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Date: 1959-60
Arusha School Playing fields Rosey Goodman and Marjory

Extract ID: 5230

See also

* David Holton
    * Jane Holton

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Date: 1960
David and Jane Holton

Extract ID: 5231

See also

* Rosy Goodman
    * Jane Holton

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Date: 1960
Jane Holton and Rosy Goodman

Extract ID: 5232

See also

* Solveg Espegren
    * Jane Holton

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Date: 1960-61
a friend called Solveg - left side from Arusha school

Extract ID: 5233

See also

* Arusha School Alumni
    * Antonia Hamshere
    * Cyril Hamshere
    * Lise Larsen

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Lise Larsen
Page Number: 2007 03 01
Extract Date: 1956
Lise Larsen - Arusha School- 1948 - 1956

My sisters and I (Ane, Lise and Inge) Larsen were all born in Arusha and all went to school at the Arusha School under the headmastership of Cyril Hamshere.

One of my best friends was Antonia Hamshere now a doctor in S.Africa and I got to know the family fairly well.

Cyril was actually born,in what was then Bristish Guiana, and not in East Africa as I read on this site. He was a wonderful headmaster for us kids with paper chases, 'rambling' climbing Mt Meru, trips to Ngorongoro and so forth. No doubt he ran a tight ship but I don't think any of us suffered through that. I have always thought his teaching of local history was marvellous. At the Kenya High we were only fed European History. Very few of us there had ever been to Europe !!

Just to let you know that I have very fond memories of my days at Arusha School, though those that remember the 'seven crossings' in the advocado trees would agree that 'Work Place Health and Safety' would no doubt be horrified !!

Thanks for the feedback. Can you confirm the dates when you were at Arusha School?

I know it must include 1956 because I see from the School Magazine of Feb 1956 that you were 12 then and you won:

A Standard Form (SF) II Prize (I received a SF IV prize at the same time)

A Music Prize (with Caroline Pearson)

Plus the Anne Revington Cup and the Selian Cup.

Can you remember these, and what the Cups were for?

You were also in the Chorus of Soldiers in a production of "The Charcoal Burner's Son"

And you wrote a piece about the School House Swimming Sports, and the Netball Team.

There's also a piece by Tonia Hamshere about the Sports Day, in fact an Inter Schools Sports day, in which you broke the high jump record (4ft 3 3/4 inches).

Hi David, I certainly can't remember much of all that !! But you inspired me to look for a Magazine and there was V0l 1 N0. 1 1955.

I did leave in '56 and as far as I can remember started in '48 or '49, the kindergarten was in the main building as the Junior section was not built. I recollect making massive "pompoms" in those early days.

What those Cups were for I've no idea - I was the sporty type not much for the study stuff so must be for sport or something.

I have Tonia's email address and her sister Diana lives in South Ascot. Cyril was very good to me in that he got me my first job after high school as assistant matron at Arusha and then some teaching * yr olds before I went teacher training in England.

He wasn't over impressed with my first English posting to a secondary modern school in Walsall so suggested I applied for a P.E. position at St Mary's Convent in South Ascot where he had been giving some talks etc. I spent 4 very happy years there before moving to Australia.

I have a spare copy of the 1955 magazine if you would like it I can mail it to you. The prizes we apparently got !! What were they for ??

Thanks for your reply have a happy summer.

Cheers Lise
Extract ID: 5227

See also

* Gray Leakey
    * Mau Mau

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Cynthia O'Keeffe
Page Number: 2007 03 04
Mau-Mau uprising

Just found the ntz info pages after doing some research about Africa, especially early 1900's. -- Great website!

One detail I note with interest; much about the Mau-Mau uprising has been 'glossed over' in the press...and if I check Google to try and locate any reference to the deaths of Grey Leakey and his wife, well, it's almost impossible. I am glad you have some facts here, as those years and the news in Africa at the time are particularly unknown to Americans today. I haven't been to Africa yet, but one never knows! Thank you for bringing so much of the history to life. I have been slowly working through the biographies of many europeans who moved to Kenya around 1900. So it's like reading about 'old friends' when I come across the names over and over again.

Your cross referencing is very well done, and leads me to more reading, and research. What an amazing time that must have been.

Cordially,

Cynthia O'Keeffe,RN

Thanks for the feedback. I try to keep the focus on Northern Tanzania, so don't cover much from Kenya or the Mau Mau.

Whether I have the "facts" of course is open to discussion. I try to keep my extracts accurate to their sources, but there's already a bias in what I choose to copy. And who knows how accurate the original sources are. For example in the quote from Brian Herne (which I think is the one you found) http://www.ntz.info/gen/b00623.html#id03840 there's an error about Capucine. Let's hope that the rest of what is says is right.

I have a newspaper from when we lived in Arusha, Tanzania in the 1950's and it records the concern which arose when it was reported that some Mau Mau fighters had crossed the border.

There are a few recent books about the Mau Mau and the colonial era which have caused a bit of a stir recently here in the UK. I'm sure you've already read the wikipedia article on the Mau Mau http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mau_Mau , and seen the comments on Caroline Elkins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_Elkins and her book. There's also a link to the Times review of two of the recent books: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article408636.ece

For your Kenyan research you might want to contact Peter Ayre http://www.abebooks.com/home/TREMLETT/ who, as well as selling East African books, is also keeping a database of people who used to live in Kenya.
Extract ID: 5226

See also

* Arusha School Alumni
    * Arusha: Amekas Spaghetti Factory
    * Stelio Stylianou

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Stelio Stylianou
Page Number: 2007 03 18
Extract Date: 1955-1961
Stelio Stylianou - Arusha School 1955-1961

I've just discovered this site. And it's a delight. I was at Arusha School from 1955 to 1961 before going on to St Michaels and St Georges in Iringa. And - as Petra mentioned in one of the messages posted some time ago - my father owned Amekas Spaghetti factory.

I've been living in London for the past 25 years and have been back to Arusha twice since being here; the last time for my 50th birthday in 2000. It's extraordinary how -despite the town growing so massively - the landmarks I knew have changed so little.
Extract ID: 5332

See also

* Mewa Singh Mangat
    * Ngare-Nairobi
    * Ol Molog
    * Sanya Juu
    * Robin Ulyate
    * Michael Wood

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Gurrjeet Mangat
Page Number: 2007 03 20
Extract Date: 1960's
The bus company

hi, I came across your correspondence regarding the ulyates on the net and it brought back fond memories of my times in Sanya Juu/Moshi/Arusha, well basically East Africa.

My father apperantely used to run the bus co. from Moshi to Olmolog via Sanya Juu and Ngare Nairobi (his name was Mewa Singh Mangat but was widely known as MANGATY) and was well acquainted with all the farmers of the area right up to Loitokitok on the Kenya border.

I still remember as a child we were fans of Robin Ulayte and Dr.Micheal Woods (the flying doctor) who used to partake in the E.A. Safari Rally and we used to go and watch them at Dutch Corner.

I was wondering out of curiosity of your correspondence with the Ulaytes if you would know if any of the Ulyates or Dr.Wood are still farming in Sanya Juu.

The focal point of the farmers life was the Farm and Duka post office run by an Englishman called Mr.Brown at Ngare Nairobi and we had a contract to deliver and collect mail for the Browns.

P.S I hope I sincereley havent inconvininced yourself by getting in touch with yourself.

Thanking you and regards.

gs Mangat.
Extract ID: 5333

See also

* Arusha School Alumni
    * Pietro Fardella
    * Derek Middleton

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Pietro Fardella
Page Number: 2007 03 21
Extract Date: 1957-1959
Pietro Fardella - Arusha School, 1957 -1959

My name is Pietro Fardella an I was at Arusha School from 1957 1959 before going to Italy. I lived East Africa (Moshi Kahe) from 1949 until 1959. Currently I live in Roma.

My teacher was Mrs Day. I keep in contact with Doctor Sannasardo working in Arusha and with other two alumni: Franco Ferrarri and Derek Middelton (now in U.K.) I also remember Peter French ad Inge Larson
Extract ID: 5334

See also

* Arusha School Alumni
    * Shaun Conner
    * Rosy Goodman
    * Richard Hatter
    * Sanya Juu
    * Elizabeth Ulyate
    * Malham Ulyate
    * Valerie Ulyate
    * Waru Waru Farm

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Elizabeth Van Staden (Ulyate) Lolly
Page Number: 2007 03 22
Extract Date: 1963-1968
Elizabeth Van Staden (Ulyate) Lolly - Arusha School 1963-1968

I would like to be named as another Ulyate who attended Arusha School 1963 - 1968. It was great finding more details of my family especially photos of my grandparents.

The last I heard, Rosemary Goodman (now Peacock) was living in Zimbabwe but with recent problems I don't know if they stayed but I'm sure my sister Valerie Wallace would know.

And, for Shaun Conner:

I see you lived on Waru Waru ... my family lived there till they moved to other parts of the world.

My father Malham Ulyate moved to Sanya Juu .the farm was called Sikarari. I also attend Arusha School '63 - '68. Richard Hatter was my 'first' boyfriend , can still remember sitting up in the big avo tree over looking the sports field. Mr Rushbrooke was headmaster the year I left. I cannot remember you but would love to hear from you.

April 24th

Hi David

Many thanks for replying to my email & apologise for not answering sooner but the last month has been very hectic for me.Thank you also for sending on the one to Shaun Conner who was in touch the very same day !! Should any other ex Arusha remember me you may pass on my email address.

It was a surprise to find the "Ulyate family " site & see pictures of my grandfather that I have never seen before. Will send you any update if I can but I might open a can of worms...so to speak. The movie "White Mischief" has nothing to compare with the Ulyates & maybe one day I'll write a book.

One interesting thing that does stand out is Princess Margarets visit to Arusha School...my sister Valerie (now Wallace) was presented with the Rusha Rusha shield by her Royal Highness.

Have enjoyed seeing what Arusha school looks like even in todays world , something to show my children.

Will keep in touch & once again many thanks for the website.

As a matter of interest I am known to all as Lolly.

Regards

Lolly(Elizabeth)
Extract ID: 5335

See also

* Shaun Conner

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Shaun Conner
Page Number: 2007 03 22
Thanks

Thanks for forwarding on the email from Elizabeth. I have emailed her with some chit chat.

Don't remember her but then we were young, I was only 10 when I left! Anyway I keep my eye on your website from time to time.

My son was in Tanzania last year. He stayed at Marangu Hotel with Seamus and Jackie Brice Bennet who run the Hotel and he climbed Kili, well, almost to the top! He had a great Safari and then went to Kenya to stay with other friends of mine. He loved it!

I keep saying we must go back but never seem to find the time. We did go to zanzibar in 1997 which was fabulous. Anyway keep up the good work.
Extract ID: 5337

See also

* Arusha School Alumni
    * Susan Wynn Jones

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Susan Bailey, nee Wynn Jones
Page Number: 2007 03 26
Extract Date: 1950
Susan Bailey, nee Wynn Jones - Arusha School, 1949-50

I was sent your e-mail address re life at Arusha School.

After 56 years my siblings and I went back to Tanzania,the first place to visit was the school. Our father - William Wynn Jones was the first Headmaster, we all lived upstairs,having been born at Arusha.

We were thrilled to see the school,meet staff,see the tortoise-all had a ride! And found many memories.Sad to see the avenue of trees gone,but the school is doing so well.

We travelled down memory lane to Moshi, Merangue, Dodoma and Mvumi were we went after Dad's time at Arusha School, so we were able to visit the districts, meeting people who remembered us. Our visit was like a homecoming,which we all enjoyed.

Having read David Reed's book, I realise why my name did not appear on the Mt.Meru board of 1950 - I reached the top. But not to the place where the book was to signed!!

Cheers-Susan Bailey,nee Wynn Jones.
Extract ID: 5355

See also

* Goodall Bloom

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Adam Goodall Bloom
Page Number: 2007 03 26
Goodall Bloom

Hi , I am going to be starting to write up my grand fathers (Goodall Bloom) book and may need some help !

Thankyou

Adam
Extract ID: 5338

See also

* Susan Wynn Jones
    * William Wynn-Jones

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Susan Bailey, nee Wynn Jones
Page Number: 2007 03 30
Extract Date: 1950
Email from Susan Bailey to Lise Larsen

Dear Lise,

I met Geoff Hoad at St Johns, Reid,A.C.T. I live in Canberra with my family. Geoff and I were talking about Tanzania and my trip in Oct.2006 and he gave me your name.

My siblings and I were born in Arusha, as our parents were missionaries with C.M.S. who were asked to build a school for the European children as they were called then. Dad was the first Headmaster in1931 - we lived upstairs for 10 years.

Our surame was Wynn Jones - Dad- William, and Mum - Ruth.

We then went to Mvumi mission station near Dodoma. After a years leave in Australia we moved to Dodoma. Dad was the Bishop then. He was consecrated in 1942.

In 1950 Dad had a car accident on his way to consecrate a church at Kongwa. This led to kidney problems,and sadly we lost our beloved Dad that May. At the end of 1950 we moved to Australia as Mum was born here, Dad was Welsh.

None of the family had been back until last year - 56 years it took for the sudden time to be right. We had a wonderful experience - full of joy and memories which can only be experienced as siblings. We met people who recalled Mum and Dad, saw our old homes - not quite as we had them, and felt so much at home. Tim,a brother could recall swahilli so much, he became the spokes person for us at some churches and places we went to.The people could recognise we had learnt the language well.

My brothers went to Duke of York - now Lenana School.and Prince of Wales - now Nairobi School. I was due to go to a Kenyan girls school in 1951, but we had left Africa by then.

I would love to know what your parents were in Africa for. Were they born there? We went past Oldeani, Moshi, Merangu - with memories of childhood.

Would like to hear from you sometime please,as there are a lot of Tanzanians around. We met a family we had not seen since 1945 up at Budrum-Qld.

Thank you for your email. I was about to write because Lise Larsen send me a copy of your email to her (sent 1 March?). I wanted to ask you permission to add this email to the web site

Good to hear from you.When were you at Arusha School?

It was interesting to go to board there in 1949-1950,after having lived there as a child upstairs. I feel so much a part of Arusha,and our trip there was special.

You may put my letter on the web. We tended to loose contact with people when we came to Australia,but have in the last few months come across families we knew on the mission field.
Extract ID: 5356

See also

* Ifunda
    * Kidugala
    * Kondoa-Irangi
    * Morogoro
    * Tengeru

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Eugeniusz Rzewuski
Page Number: 2007 04 04
Tengeru

Just today I read some e-mail correspondance posted to http://www.ntz.info concerning the former camp of Polish WW2 refugees in Tengeru, Tanzania. Many people do discover this place and its symbolic history of being a safe haven for nearly 5 thousand Polish children and their elder relatives and caretakers evacuated by the Polish army from places of their deportation in Soviet Union. Some visitors are amazed that the Polish cemetery adjacent to the former refugee camp is so well maintained.

I am glad to inform that this place is under permanent care of the Polish Embassy in Dar es Salaam.

Sincerely yours

Eugeniusz Rzewuski,

University of Warsaw,

Department of African Languages and Cultures

former charge d' affaires a.i. of the Embassy (1995-99)

Many thanks for your feedback about Tengeru. It is one of the sections of the web site that causes a lot of interest, and there is a new generation of people trying to unearth the history of their parents, many of whom spent time at Tengeru.

Although I've been to Arusha many times, I've never managed to visit Tengeru. Thank you for your update about the cemetry.

I'm sure you are familiar with sites such as http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kresy-Siberia/ - Someone refered this to me only a week ago as a place with lots of information about Tengeru, including photographs.

Jambo David (Daudi)

Thanks for your reply letter. I am glad that there is much interest about "Polish chapter" of the history of Tengeru. In fact this was one of many WW2 Polish camps camps located in East and Central Africa. I have visited and documented four other Polish cemeteries in Tanzania which which mark places where camps were located: Morogoro, Kidugala, Ifunda, Kondoa-Irangi. All are reasonably well mantained. Tengeru was the the biggest camp and remains the biggest cemetery.
Extract ID: 5354

See also

* Susan Alyce Oyoo
    * Arusha School Alumni
    * N.Z. Dala
    * Ms Ngowi

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Susan Alyce Oyoo
Page Number: 2007 04 09
Extract Date: 1986-1991
Susan Alyce Oyoo: Arusha School 1986-1991

I was browsing through the net and thought I reach out and search for info on my former primary school. I am so amazed at how much lotso former pupils have managed to make contact, as most still visit,others plan to do so in the long run.

I was in Arusha school between 1986-1991, I so enjoyed my time there and infact miss the good old days very much. I now live in the United Kingdom, I last visited Tanzania in 2004 but was in Dar es Salaam.

I remember my best teacher (as we students used to rank), was Mr Sawaki, as well as he being my class teacher in my P7. I met Mr Dalal (tall) on my way to Dar, and was so surprised he still remembered me very well....Its also good to know a few people like Ms Ngowi are still there, unfortunatly sad some past away, bless them!

I have but all in vain, been trying to get in contact with one of my old school friends, Linda Maita. Does any one know where she is or how i could get in contact with her. I also would like to get in contact with Emili Mwenewanda, if any one can help, we got confirmed together at Christ Church, still have a foto of us together.

I would love to link up with most of the former people i was with especially during P6 and P7. i am shocked but amazed to hear the tortois's still there, alive and kicking. I mean, they were very old the time i was there!

I have taken an interest in this and will eventually get my self to reading and knowing alot more about tortois's as living creatures.

Everyone involved in making this site happen, Your doing a very great job and thanks to you all. Reading a few feed backs, i noticed a name thats so familair, Fiona Musana..Our families knew each other. i hope some day i will be able to meet all the people i intend to, through your help.

Keep up the good job and the good spirit going!

Many Thanks!
Extract ID: 5353

See also

* Iain Douglas-Hamilton
    * Lake Manyara

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Yvonne Starks
Page Number: 2007 04 19
Among the Elephants

Just finished reading Among the Elephants. Because of the span of time and projections from 1975, curious about few outcomes:

Chapter 15: What has happened to the home ranges of the Manyara elephants. Did it tighten or loosen and what was the phase that occurred?

Chapter 17: What was finally decided about the correct management of elephants all over Africa, judged by each individual park's merits? Culling? Noninterference?

Postscript: Only 40% of ID-H's marked trees were still alive at writing. Predicted that by 1980 there would be none left. True? Story & comments?

Postscript: Overcrowding crisis at Manyara solved? Marang Forest as promised, happen? Conversion of corridor of farmland to wildlife conservation occur for larger elephant ranges?

Are there any photos of Iain, Oria, Mhoja from the 1960s and currently? Some in book dark and hard to see.

Site and links good, but a little difficult to navigate, at least for the questions/info I was searching for...

Thanks for your email and feedback with questions.

Unfortunately I'm not in any great position to answer. You'd need to talk directly to people working in the park, and to other scientist who might be currently studying the Manyara elephants. Results are probably in the scientific literature which I only have occasional access to, and don't really try to include research publications in the database unless they have some wider appeal.

I know that there's work going on to create a corridor between lake Manyara and the Tarangire National Park. In time gone by the elephants used to move freely between the Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Manyara, but this corridor is effectively block by towns, villages and cultivation, but I suspect that a few elephants do make the journey.

I'll put your email on the web site, and maybe others will have some answers to your questions.

Btw, do let me know what sort of things you found difficult with the navigation. I'm always open to improvement. The overall design is nearly 8 years old, and I plan one day to move it to an online database, and will rethink the structure and navigation then.

Also, my initial focus was on indexing people and dates, and I haven't tried much to index e.g. animals. Hence, no specific index for elephant. However, the search option on the front page might help - it finds 243 pages which include the word elephant.
Extract ID: 5352

See also

* Gerald & Arjan Chopra

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Jarat Chopra
Page Number: 2007 04 21
Arjan and Gerald Chopra

Brian Duncan states 'Gerald & Argent Chopra - Gerald was a doctor and his father Argent (English wife) was a lawyer - possibly of Italian or Belgian origin, and both very keen shooters. They both had respective practices in Mwanza.'

Actually it is ARJAN and GERALD Chopra. My father, Arjan, was a doctor and Gerald, his brother/my uncle, was a lawyer. Both of Indian origin. Their father was I.C. Chopra, a lawyer and founding partner/director/shareholder with J.T. Williamson of Williamson Diamonds.
Extract ID: 5351

See also

* Dar Mutiny
    * John Lloyd

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Page Number: 2007 04 22
Extract Date: Feb 2007
The Dar Mutiny of 1964

May I commend my (with Christopher MacRae) new book The Dar Mutiny of 1964 Book Guild Publishing of Brighton Feb 2007. Foreword by Lord Carrington.

Article in Apr edition RUSI Journal 'A good read, and an excellent and detailed account ...'.

Globe and Laurel. 'I commend you ...'

Ben Mkapa, former President Tanzania. 'An extremely useful addition to the history of the period ... a very good account ...'

General Lord Guthrie. 'This is a valuable historical record ...'

Lord Luce, former Minister for Africa. 'A remarkable reconstruction ...'

Sir Jophn Coles, former Head of the Diplomatic Service.
Extract ID: 5349

See also

* A.P.de K. Fourie
    * James Rayner

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: James C Rayner
Page Number: 2007 04 25
Extract Date: 1947 Aug
A. P. de K. Fourie

I was amazed to find reference to my father grand father on your web site - A. P. de K. Fourie.

I actual have a copy of his writings and have just finished reading it.
Extract ID: 5358

See also

* Kirit Patel

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Kirit Patel
Page Number: 2007 04 25
Extract Date: 1974

it is always a pleasure to read the new articles that are posted for our school. I saw the pictures of the swimming pool and it brought tears to my eyes to see it in th state it is in , I can remember having a many weekday afternnoons and many a week ends n the pool , I can rember the grand swimming galas we had there. I was the swim team captian for south house in 1974, we won the gala in all the events.

I wonder if there is anything we can do as an alumni to put it back together I know there are a lot of us who still cherish the moments we spent in arusha and the school. Just a thought ,

I would also like to get in touch with the following friends of mine if they still remember me

alakrim abdullah canada

rashana

allen moore texas

and all the other s from my time if they see me please pass them muy email address.

keep up the good work
Extract ID: 5357

See also

* Arusha School Tortoise
    * Tricia Lane
    * Oldeani

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Tricia Barton (nee Lane)
Page Number: 2007 04 26
Extract Date: 1950-52
Tricia Lane Oldeani 1950-52

I have pictures of Oldeani and wondered how I can send them to you for your Arusha site.

I was at Oldeani from 1950 - 1952. I remember the tortoise at the school in Arusha, although I seem to remember that there were two of them.

I loved your site and seeing familiar names. Lovely memories.

Tricia Barton (nee Lane)
Extract ID: 5359

See also

* Arusha School Alumni
    * Nandine Nagy
    * Alan Sykes
    * Diana Sykes
    * Wendy Sykes
    * Elizabeth Watts

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Wendy Sykes
Page Number: 2007 05 01
Wendy and Diana Sykes - Arusha School, 1960's

We lived in Tanzania from the late 40s early fifties until 1964.

My father Alan Sykes was with the Agricultural Service stationed variously in Malya, Musoma, Mwanza, Bukoba, Moshi and Arusha.

Married to Barbara with five children all born in in Tanzania. My older sister Diana and I were borders at Arusha school for a period in the early 60s before becoming day girls when my parents moved to Arusha.

We lived in a large German built house behind the Boma. I was good friends with Elizabeth Watts whose parents Bunny and Reggie had a coffee farm out near Usa River.

They lived near the Von Nagys (sp) whose daughter Nandine was also a friend. Diana and I want to send stuff and ask questions. Is this the main route?
Extract ID: 5360

See also

* Rosy Goodman
    * Elizabeth Ulyate

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Louis van Rooyen
Page Number: 2007 05 03
asking about Rosemary Goodman

Hi Lolly [Elizabeth Van Staden (Ulyate)]

Read your insert on David's site. You were asking about Rosemary Goodman?

She married an engineer from the UK, Derek Peacock, who was doing something in Moshi in the late sixties. From there I think they went straight to the then Rhodesia, where they still live, in Harare. My parents lived there until about six years ago and my mother still in contact with Rosie's mom, Peggy.

Will try and get her address and mail it to you.

Regards, Louis van Rooyen
Extract ID: 5370

See also

* Pamela Chapman
    * Rosy Goodman
    * Elizabeth Ulyate
    * Louis van Rooyen

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Louis van Rooyen
Page Number: 2007 05 03
Extract Date: 13-May-2007
trip back to Tanzania

Hi Lolly, [Elizabeth Van Staden (Ulyate)]

My wife, Linda (nee Newby) and I are taking a trip back to Tanzania in December of 2007 and were browsing Arusha sites to jog our memories, when we found you on David's site!

I remember receiving a star on a Monday (or was it Fridays?) during assembly for 'saving' you from drowning - when you slipped out of your tube going down the slide in the swimming pool!!! Spoke to Bob and Phyllis briefly the other day - we are now living in SA after my parents emigrated to Rhodesia in '71.

Yes, Rosie and Tony are still in Harare, confirmed by Pamela and Gordon Chapman, who spent a week with us in November last year (now in UK)

Brother, Jan (aka: 'Boeta') and his wife Michelle and my mother will be joining us on our nostalgic tour, starting at Annabel (ex Fowler) in Tanga.

Take care

Louis
Extract ID: 5369

See also

* Chris Thorne
    * Richard Thorne

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Chris Thorne
Page Number: 2007 05 04
Extract Date: 1938
Iringa 1938

I was born at IRINGA in 1938, were my father Richard Thorne was Commander of the POLICE. I am anxious to find photos of Iringa at, or around this time and I wondered if you at ntz could help, or tell me of another site that might be able or willing to do so.

Chris
Extract ID: 5361

See also

* Ian Rodger
    * Rodger Yeager

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Ian Cruden Rodger
Page Number: 2007 05 05
Extract Date: 05-May-2007
Dr Yeager?

A very fine website, which has helped me with my collection of conflicts in the twentieth century, but my primary purpose is to ask Dr. Yeager whether his first name, Rodger, means he is related to an Ayrshire family and, if it is, he is willing to give mr his family background to see whether we are related.

Apologies if this is strictly not what your feedback is about!

Ian Rodger
Extract ID: 5365

See also

* Paul Bolstad
    * Dieter Czum
    * Tom Linton
    * Lutheran Church

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Paul Bolstad
Page Number: 2007 05 08

My young brother, Dan, found your website somehow and sent me the link. I have found it fascinating.

My story is a bit different from most that I have seen so far:

My father was an American missionary, sent to restart a printing press for the mission in the aftermath of WWII.(1946). We lived at Vuga in the Usambara Mts. We lived in Tanganyika for two five year 'terms', leaving for the last time in 1957. My father had a heart condition that prevented him from returning to the work he loved and the people of the Usambaras.

I finished university in 1966 and returned that year as a Peace Corps Volunteer, serving in an agricultural project in Morogoro Region(Kilombero) for two years.

Later, I moved to Kenya, to the sugar producing areas around Lake Victoria for another year. After further education, I returned to TZ in 1974 with my wife, Shirley, to teach at a secondary school just outside Arusha, called Enaboishu. I was an employee(missionary) of the Lutheran Church of America, but serving under the authority of the ELCT(the local Lutheran Church).

We had two children born in Nairobi during that time. Our oldest was a student at Arusha School from 1979 to 1982, the year we returned to USA. We have not been back since. However, we are planning a return safari for this November, especially to visit the area where my parents served from 1946 to 1957, with my two daughters and my two sisters and a brother...all with their spouses. We will be a group of ten or more. It will be a 'trip of a lifetime'...

I have made the acquaintance of a Tom Linton, an artist who is a representative of Dieter Czurn's safari company. He was a student at Arusha School and later, at secondary school in Nairobi. His father built the pryretheum factory in Arusha. He will know many of the names in your website! I'll make sure he is aware of your website... perhaps he already knows about it.

I have extensive knowledge of the American missionary family from the Arusha area and can answer questions or put people in contact with old friends from that community. Our neightbor from Ilboru, Dave Simonson, still lives in Arusha although he is in declining health these days. Many of his family are in the safari business and are, in fact, arranging our safari.

I knew Deiter Czurn's father well; my father depended on him for repairs to vehicles used in the pubslishing house. I hope to meet up with him some day.

I didn't see your background and history anywhere on the website...perhaps I didn't look in the right place. During our 8.5 years in the Arusha area we met many of the old time 'wazungus', although many of them have passed on.

One, 'Edward, the Polish butcher' is still there and very much alive and operating his business out of his house. I am interested in the history of Polish refugees and will try to visit the cemetary at Tengeru.

I have a brother-in-law who is Jewish and he is interested in any Jewish immigration and history. I would welcome any information anyone out there would know, especially if there were any Jewish immigrants from Poland among those refugees!

I'm sorry this is so long, but I am one of those who has been bitten by the Africa bug, more specifically the Tanzania variety. In total I have lived 22.5 years of my life there(I still speak Swahili fluently) and find that it will always pull me back...

Cheers, Paul Bolstad
Extract ID: 5362

external link

See also

* Tanzania: National Anthem

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: David Arundel
Page Number: 2007 05 09
Extract Date: 09-May-2007

just some feed back on Nkosi Sikelel'I Afrika is mainly true I have to mention that it's not the national anthem of Namibia, even though the song is the national anthem of many southern african states. The national anthem of Namibia is 'Namibia, Land of the Brave' and you can hear it on (see link) but be warned it's a real wankey anthem even by African standards.
Extract ID: 5367

See also

* Custodian of Enemy Property
    * A.G. (DV) de Villiers
    * Cyril Redfearn

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: William de Villiers
Researching the life and times of Cyril Redfearn

Lovely site! Well done indeed. My grandfather, A.G. de Villiers (known far and wide as DV), was an officer in the Tanganyika Territory Police and spent time in Northern Tanganyika.

Can you help me with some info.?

I am researching the life and times of Cyril Redfearn. He settled and commenced farming in Tanganyika Territory between c. 1922-24, being listed in the 1925 edition of the 'East African Red Book' as a planter at Moshi.

Thereafter he moved to 'Arusha' - probably Mbulu (he is listed as a resident of Arusha in the 1931 edition of the 'East African Red Book'.)

After War broke out he was appointed by the Custodian of Enemy Property, Tanganyika Territory, to manage the Oldeani Estates. (He was created an MBE in the New Year's Honours of 1945 for this work.)

After the war he continued farming for his own account at Mbulu, and was elected as a committee member of the Mbulu Farmers' Association in 1950 (see 'East Africa and Rhodesia' (24 August 1950), p. 1557.) At some stage thereafter (when?) he retired to live in Kenya - being listed in the Kenya Telephone Directory for July 1961 as a resident at Hema Estate in Kabete near Nairobi.

I don't know when he died.

Could you possibly help flesh out this story a little ?

Many thanks indeed

William de Villiers
Extract ID: 5366

See also

* Arusha: Temi River
    * John Bovenisor
    * Mr Krokowski
    * Dr. John Linton
    * Tom Linton
    * Mr Miller
    * Pyrethrum
    * Dawn Watts

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Tom Linton
Two tragic plane tales.

The other man standing over the rhino looks very much like like Mr. Krokowski (polish refugee from Nazi occupied Poland). He owned a jewelry store around the corner from the grocery store on the corner of the town square/roundabout. He had mines around the country, was chief of police, and a big game hunter for many years (trading in ivory), and was eventually killed in his small aircraft on the slopes of Monduli hills. He got into a slip stream and couldn't pull out. His son Joseph survived and lives in London. I was supposed to go up with them that day, but my mother had a call from Mrs. Watts (who lived out past Lake Duluti) asking if I would take out her daughter Dawn, horseriding. After a heated argument, my mother won out, and I had to ride the six miles out there to take Dawn riding!

The picture of the horse. That's the Miller home which was on Themi [Temi] road just before you enter Themi coffee estate, on the way to the Pyrethrum factory built by my father Dr. John Linton, who passed away last year. When my horse arrived on the train from Nairobi, he was boarded in the Miller's paddock for a while. Mr. Miller left the country during the nationalization period (of socialism) with his wealth, in stones, and was sadly killed when the small plane he was absconding in crashed.

Cheers,

Tom Linton

p.s I last heard Jonn Boveniser is 'Down Under' farming.

I've only just now glanced at your site, so I'll give it another persusal and let you know what else I find.
Extract ID: 5368

See also

* Arusha School Alumni
    * Colonel Terence Conner
    * Shaun Conner
    * Lorna Fè McIntyre
    * Joe Newby
    * Linda van Rooyen
    * Louis van Rooyen

nTZ Feedback, 2007
Extract Author: Linda (Newby) van Rooyen
Page Number: 2007 05 13
Extract Date: 1965-69
Linda Newby, Arusha School, 1965-69

Hi Shaun [Conner],

Saw your link on David's site. Our times at Arusha School must have overlapped a little, although I regret I cannot recall you.

However, my father, Joe Newby farmed on the slopes of the Crater near Oldeani, and I think I recall your father ?? Known to us as Colonel Conner?

I was at Arusha School from 1965 to 1969 and was friendly with Fe McIntyre, Alta van Rooyen, Nicola Ghaui, and a whole lot of girls, wh

Fenella Pringle

Hi Susan (Wynne-Jones)
I remember you and your sister, Naomi, from Dodoma.  Did you have a tree-house or something similar at your home?  My sister, Fiona, and I lived at the Boma. My father was the RM.  We weren't there for long. Moved to Dar.  We went to SH School at Sao Hill.  I remember spending much happy time at the Mission bookshop.   Fenella Pringle. ( I now live in New Zealand, Fiona in Malta)

Peter Woodrow

Jill Appleby/Petra McMahon: I remember you well! My father was also PWD but in Dar and we met in Tanga whe I was on my way back from my first term at Arusha and you were about to be a new person the next. I can't remember the advice I gave you but I'm sure it would have been helpful like "Don't go there!" as I hadnt much enjoyed the first term though life improved after that. As we had met before you arrived it was assumed by the unsympathetic boys of Junior Block North dorm that you were "my dame" and I was instructed to tell you to be more respectful of them,- advice which I remember never passing on!

keviavuz788

On the 30th of January 2007 a movie about the life of Margarete Trappe and Momella will be shown on the German TV Channel (ZDF) all over the world and we are very excited about it.

The book: 'Am Fusse des Meru' was mentioned in one of your comments - it was written by Gerd von Lettow Vorbeck!

We are also glad to read that business around Momella, esp with the two owners of the farm (one from Namibia!) is going well. We were born in Namibia and our heart and soul are part of the wonderful African continent.

Verena and Manfred Hinsch

I wish I could see the film, and even more, I wish I knew German so as to be able to follow it, and many other works about Margaret Trappe and others in Tanzania.

movies online free

sheilaaellis44

Is there have a latest feedback for this year. I want see to it and be informed about the new feedback. This old feedback are good i'll be waiting for the new one. Thanks.

Naomi Wilson

Quote from: Fenella Pringle on 23 August, 2009, 15:50
Hi Susan (Wynne-Jones)
I remember you and your sister, Naomi, from Dodoma.  Did you have a tree-house or something similar at your home?  My sister, Fiona, and I lived at the Boma. My father was the RM.  We weren't there for long. Moved to Dar.  We went to SH School at Sao Hill.  I remember spending much happy time at the Mission bookshop.   Fenella Pringle. ( I now live in New Zealand, Fiona in Malta)

Hello Fiona - Naomi Wilson (nee Wynn Jones)  here. Susan had just beenm staying with me for a couple of weeks - yes we did have the tree house, and I rmember the book shop well. My two brothers live in Sydney and Sue in Canberrs. I live in tropical North Queensland - in Cairns. THis is a sonderfulsite to catch up with people.