28 March, 2024, 08:18

News:

30 Nov 2019 We've upgraded the Forum software to the latest update, and new users should now be able to register and sign on again.

Arusha School Cubs& Scouts

Started by mikewb, 07 August, 2009, 07:46

Previous topic - Next topic

mikewb

Does any one remember being in the cubs or scouts and going on jamborees. I remember two, one we had to pick out a place in the middle of the bush and make our camp. All we had was a tent. We had to make all the table and chairs and so on and later judged on the area. Second we just had a tent and we had all our gear stolen.
Mike Brown

Ashdown

Yes I do. As you say we made camp - with those vast, heavy canvas sheets tied to wooden poles - in the middle of the forest at Lake Duluti (I think). With the rain and general lack of know-how the whole thing turned into an orgy of mud, baked beans, and something worse. Breakfast of tinned condensed milk poured onto cornflakes eaten standing up knee deep in the mud. Inevitable sing song round the camp fire. I took my son to something like it in Gillwell Park, trying to rekindle these memories, but it was all rather tame and meaningless by comparison. I think the whole Cub and Scout thing was part of the zeitgeist of the time, so to speak.

Mitash

Quote from: mikewb on 07 August, 2009, 07:46
Does any one remember being in the cubs or scouts and going on jamborees. I remember two, one we had to pick out a place in the middle of the bush and make our camp. All we had was a tent. We had to make all the table and chairs and so on and later judged on the area. Second we just had a tent and we had all our gear stolen.
Mike Brown

Mr. Brown, I attended Arusha School between 1967 and 1969. I remember climbing Mt. Meru. Howver, I do not remember the scout leader's name. Our back packs were filled with canned food and bars of chocolates to inhibit hunger. Mr. Jones and Mr. Nettlebeck were school principles respectively. Wondering if anyone else remebers the trip...