28 March, 2024, 08:31

News:

30 Nov 2019 We've upgraded the Forum software to the latest update, and new users should now be able to register and sign on again.

Contact from Michael/Rae Stanley, Mbeya 'kids', Dar teenagers circa 1958-63?

Started by alec wight, 02 August, 2010, 21:15

Previous topic - Next topic

alec wight

I would be interested in hearing from any of the above, and any from Mbeya 1950-55. I was 'Pinky' in Stanley, older sister Linare. I am in touch with Brian Townson. Also like to hear from Ian Lovegrove (Australia still?) if he looks in. Brian remembers names better than I and is in touch with Wallington boys; we both have quite detailed and good memories of Mbeya and life in general growing up in EA which we may document at some time for descendants who have little idea of such life with mixture of freedom, privilege and deprivation!

Peter Woodrow

Alec: Did you get my reply to yours earlier this month? If not e-mail me on peterhwoodrow@hotmail.com. If Mike or Rae are tuned in to this too I'd be delighted to hear from them.
All the best, Peter

annibelle

Massage Therapy Gold Coast

alec wight

Quote from: annibelle on 07 September, 2010, 19:30
Hi, I am Annibelle from Florida. What are you talking about???

Hi Annibelle, Just looking to make contact with old friends from Tanganyika days in 1950/1963 era who went to Mbeya School or lived in Dar es Salaam as youngsters/teenagers or whom we might otherwise know. Peter is an old school friend picking up the message for Michael and Rae Stanley, also old friends we want to contact again.
Regards, Alec.

alec wight

Quote from: Peter Woodrow on 18 August, 2010, 15:37
Alec: Did you get my reply to yours earlier this month? If not e-mail me on peterhwoodrow@hotmail.com. If Mike or Rae are tuned in to this too I'd be delighted to hear from them.
All the best, Peter

Hi Peter, sent email direct to hotmail. Speak soon - cheers, Alec.

Froggy

I was at Mbeya from 1954 to '56 in Livingstone and lived in Dar in two stages from c.1949 to '56 when I returned to UK for further education. I'm Michael Frost, nicknamed 'Froggy' by friends in Dar and Mbeya.

I was delighted to find this site a couple of nights ago when I was researching a personal project. A number of names and photographs have brought back memories and I hope to discover more in due course. What I must try to do quite soon is to find my old photographs, scan and upload them.

gukleifo34

Brian remembers names better than I and is in touch with Wallington boys; we both have quite detailed and good memories of Mbeya and life in general growing up in EA which we may document at some time for descendants who have little idea of such life with mixture of freedom, privilege and deprivation!

website promotion

Doug Kidd

Hi Froggy, I'm Doug Kidd -- I was in Livingstone House at Mbeya, '53 thru '57, before spending one year at Kongwa and then Oram House at Iringa '59 thru '62. Parents lived in Dar and Mbeya from WW2 thru '62. I remember many classmates and stay in touch with some of them. I'm trying to figure out who the heck "Froggy" was!
I tell everyone I'm a "Refugee from Tanganyika's Gulag Archipelago of European Child Indoctrination Camps at Mbeya, Kongwa and Iringa"
Some wonderful memories.

Froggy

Hi Doug, it's good to meet you. I think you may have been one year junior to me at Mbeya. Perhaps you may recall my younger sister, Susan Frost, but don't worry if you can't. Like you, I'm trying to remember many of the other names that I've read in this forum. As I have reached back in my memory to my younger years, I have recalled some friends in Dar-es-Salaam and others at Mbeya School. However, it's been quite a struggle. I remember one particular friend when my family lived in Roosevelt Road, Oyster Bay, as 'Todd' and I think he may have been, some years later, in Burton house at Mbeya School. 'Todd' may have been a nickname. I remember well that he was Scottish. I'm sure he had a younger sister, whose name escapes me, and I'm not aware of her being a pupil at Mbeya. I remember there was a large baobab tree near their house. Also while I lived in Roosevelt Road, I'm fairly sure that I knew two other boys, Ruston and Clinton Thompson, as near neighbours. I believe Ruston was a good few years older than me, while Clinton was perhaps nearer my age. During this period, 1950/53, I would have been at the Junior European School in Dar-es-Salaam. I returned to the UK with my family and remember watching the Coronation of our Queen Elizabeth II on television during 1953 while living in the northeast of England.

I returned to Dar during 1954 with my family and lived in Hill Road, Oyster Bay. One thing I did almost immediately upon returning to Dar was to cycle to Roosevelt Road to see if I could find 'Todd' and his family. I was very happy to meet up with him again. Another friend that I recall from that time was Malcolm McCallum in Hill Road, who may not have attended Mbeya School. I'm simply just not sure. There was another neighbouring family with children called Rachel Wenban-Smith and her brother, also in Hill Road. While I'm well aware of Rachel, I'm not sure that she attended Mbeya School, although it seems very likely that her brother, Alan, attended and may have been a year below me. Another close friend of mine at Mbeya was Peter Hopp(e), who may have been of Dutch or German extraction. Also at Mbeya, I remember the twins Dianne and Yvonne Gil(l)man very fondly. I'm not at all sure where Peter's family lived, except that it wasn't Dar, while I can't recall other than Dianne and Yvonne hailed from somewhat south of Tanganyika, perhaps even south of Nyasaland and the Rhodesias, but not necessarily in South Africa. I don't intend to be cryptic, but it's simply that I just can't remember clearly.

Rather like Alec Wight mentioned earlier, my view of life in Dar and Mbeya is also that it was a strange mixture of freedom, privilege and deprivation, but I'd add that the opportunities we enjoyed sometimes came with a hidden cost that we only realised later. I've finished scanning my rather small collection of photographs and shall upload them somewhere soon and write further as the photographs encourage more recollections.

Michael Murphy

Hi,
   My parents lived in Dar from 1948 to 1957, and I went to Mbeya School under Headmaster Wallington from 1951 to 1953.
   Whilst not wishing to try to quote too much information, my then great friend Alan Wenban-Smith now has his own website, and I'm sure can update you on his younger sister Rachel, and his elder two brothers and sister.
   It might be interesting to compile a list of all remembered Mbeya and Dar names.
Cheers, Michael Murphy. 

Froggy

Hi Michael, it's good to meet you too. Thank you for your reply. You clearly started and finished at Mbeya before I arrived there. While I remember Mr Wallington as one Headmaster, he was succeeded by a Mr Francis, if I recall correctly.

Quote from: Michael Murphy on 01 August, 2011, 02:13...whilst not wishing to try to quote too much information, my then great friend Alan Wenban-Smith now has his own website, and I'm sure can update you on his younger sister Rachel, and his elder two brothers and sister...

Noted, thank you. I spent a little time catching up with significant events yesterday afternoon.

sheilaaellis44

So this is a conversation into generation to one generation. What amazing that you would be able to contact and communicate even the many years will past by. The great thing you would do is have a reunion. I'm only suggesting. LOL