28 March, 2024, 08:41

News:

30 Nov 2019 We've upgraded the Forum software to the latest update, and new users should now be able to register and sign on again.

Abused: Breaking the Silence

Started by nTZ, 20 June, 2011, 15:10

Previous topic - Next topic

nTZ

UK, Tue 22 June 2011, 22:35 on BBC One (except Northern Ireland, Wales)

"In 2009, over a hundred former pupils from two Catholic prep schools in England and Tanzania were reunited via the internet. Chatting in cyberspace, they discovered they had all suffered terrible abuse at school: mental, physical and, in some cases, sexual. As young children they were frightened into silence by their abusers.

Now, as men in their fifties and sixties, and strengthened by the group, they want the truth to come out. Twenty two men have started legal proceedings against the Rosminian Order for compensation. They want justice. But half a century has passed, and their abusers are now elderly. What will it take to repair the damage and for the victims to feel able to move on?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0124y7n

nTZ

Simon Watson

Hi.....  I did'nt see the BBC programme of tuesday as I did'nt know of its existance. Do you know whether a repeat is scheduled? I lived in Tanga between 1952 and 1961 and a friend of mine also living in Tanga went to Soni. He returned home fairly "Black and Blue" from canings etc.... So did I sometimes upon return from Sao-Hill but not as excessive. I remember his Mum saying something about it, but that's all I can recall. I also cannot see his name in your many hundreds of Members but many people do not disclose their IDs on the Member's listing. Best Regards...Simon Watson.

anpunk27

its to sad to know about this thing.
check this siteM5072A

Froggy

23 June, 2011, 16:39 #4 Last Edit: 23 June, 2011, 16:42 by Froggy
Quote from: Simon Watson on 23 June, 2011, 13:43...I did'nt see the BBC programme of tuesday as I did'nt know of its existance. Do you know whether a repeat is scheduled?

It's available, for a short time only, on the BBC's iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0124y7n/Abused_Breaking_the_Silence/

I watched and found it quite a harrowing account at times.  No children deserve such treatment.