28 March, 2024, 07:54

News:

30 Nov 2019 We've upgraded the Forum software to the latest update, and new users should now be able to register and sign on again.

Geoffrey Holland

Started by Andrew S, 10 July, 2012, 10:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew S

I'm looking for info on Geoffrey Holland who used to be the headmaster of Sao Hill school until the early 60s. I believe he became a teacher at a school in the southwest of England thereafter and would appreciate any info on his subsequent activities and location. Thanks.

Andrew S

Further info: I see from a post by Tim Hood that he ran into Geoffrey Holland in England in about 1963. I wonder if he reads this if he could respond and let us know if he could remember which school Mr Holland was a teacher at at that time. Thanks. 

Simon Watson

Hi Andrew, I was at Sao Hill between 1957-61. I would estimate that he was fourty when I left which would make him 90+ today. Are you sure that he is still alive? With respect, I lost count how many canings I had through his un-necessary cruelness, so it surprises me somewhat that somebody would want to make contact with him! His black Labrador Jet was brilliant though!! V best...Simon.

Andrew S

12 August, 2012, 10:50 #3 Last Edit: 12 August, 2012, 11:18 by Andrew S
Hi Simon, Thanks for your reply. I was at Sao Hill around 1948 - 1949 before we went to S. Africa. I want to track Geoffrey Holland and/or his relatives down because a relative of mine has recently found out that he was quite possibly their father! I expect that he died some time ago, but it's possible that my relative has half-siblings in the UK somewhere and would like to establish contact with them. Of course, it's possible that he never had other children, in which case it's just a matter of my relative finding out about their ancestors and antecedents for interest's sake. Regards...Andrew

Andrew S

Hi Simon or anyone else who attended Sao Hill school: Can anyone verify whether or not the attached pic is Geoffrey Holland?
Thanks...Andrew

Simon Watson

Hi Andrew, I confirm that the photo is Geoffrey Holland with his Labrador "Jet". I would quess that this photo was taken in 1958 when "Jet" was a pup, as he did'nt have the dog in 1957 which was my first year.

Separately to this issue of yours Andrew,I find it amazing that there were 50-60 pupils at the Southern Highland School in 1957,but not one has made any comments as regards your issue, or any other posts of mine since I joined nTZ 3 years ago! Bizaar! V best....Simon.

Andrew S

Hi Simon. I thought it might be him but wasn't sure. Many thanks for your confirmation. As you say, it's a bit strange re the lack of responses but I guess many of our fellow 'inmates' don't know about this site. Anyway, many thanks for your responses; a member of our family will be very pleased by this info.
Best...Andrew