Name ID 1824
Extract Author: Valentine Marc Nkwame
Page Number: 334
Extract Date: 21 Aug 2004
The Arusha Diocese for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania (ELCT) has published a booklet which covers the 100 years of the Diocese since the first Missionaries set foot in the Ilboru area where it was initially established.
Printed by the Moshi Lutheran Printing Press, in Kilimanjaro, the red covered, 68-page book, consists of twenty chapters from Bishop Thomas Laizer�s prologue, to the current mission work in the Diocese.
It covers a partly detailed history of the first delegation of Missionaries from Leipzig, Germany who reportedly arrived on the slopes of Mount Meru in 1902, where Hermann Albert Fokken and his building expert, Karl Luckin established the maiden Lutheran Centre in the Waarusha community then having a population of only 8,365.
Compiled by Pastor Dr. Joseph W. Parsalaw, a lecturer with the Tumaini Lutheran University, Reverend, Dr. Naaman Miraa Laizer, Pastor Godwin Ole Lekashu of Ilboru and Reverend Zacharia Ole Matinda, the book was launched during the 100th Anniversary for the ELCT Diocese last Sunday.
The book has been published in Swahili language and the first copy of the launch was sold at Tsh.350,000 athough the retail price of the publication is set at Tsh.1,000 per book.
Prime Minister, Frederick Sumaye was the guest of honour at the ELCT centennial celebration held at Ilboru which was also attended by a number of other distinguished guests.
The first Church in the region was built at Ilboru in1904 whose building still stands to-date and during the last Sunday�s event it was consecrated to serve as the first Christian Evangelical museum in the country.
The Lutheran Church in Arusha region became a Synod in 1973 and later made Diocese
in January 1987 at a ceremony whose guest of honour was the retired Tanzania President, Ally Hassan Mwinyi, the event took place at the Enkare-Narok Parish in Ngarenaro area.
Today, the Diocese has 329,350 brethren, among them 143,784 adults and 185,564 children. There are also 82 pastors, 482 evangelists, 15 parish workers and 565 church buildings.
The ELCT Town Cathedral, was the second church to be built in Arusha after the Ilboru one, and they were both constructed under the same plan.