Name ID 1617
Extract Author: Mike Leach
Extract Date: 1912
sent by email June 2002 - "This goes as caption with some photos from 1912 mounted in our hall."
August Leue landed in Bagamoyo in 1885 as part of an expedition under Hermann von Wissmann which included Tom von Prince. As an officer in the Schutztruppe Leue was stationed in Bagamoyo, Dar es Salaam, Kilwa & Tabora. In 1887 he established a post of the German East Africa Company (DOAG) in Dar es Salaam causing a revolt. In 1891 rule was transferred from the DOAG to the German government and Dar es Salaam selected as the seat of administration. A map in the lodge (circa 1910) shows Leue Strasse, now Morogoro Road.
In 1901 Leue retired and in 1905 returned having raised money in Berlin for a settlement on Mount Meru which became known as Leuedorf, now Ngare Sero.
Some two hundred Volga-Deutsch families were settled between Ngongare and Makumira. In 1908 church bells were donated from Bochum to the settlement and these now hang at Nkoaranga Church. The photographs from 1912 show Leue standing in front of his rubber plantation. With him is the farm manager Fritz Hohl�chter later killed in a shooting accident.
During the World War Leuedorf was occupied by British troops but Leue continued to administer the area. In 1920 under the League of Nations Mandate Leuedorf passed to Captain Rydon RN who farmed the estate until 1954.
In 1973 Mike & Gisela Leach converted the farm house and gardens into a small tourist lodge.