Meru Estate

Name ID 1829

See also

Ulyate Family Personal Communications
Extract Author: Marjorie Borissow
Page Number: 101
Extract Date: 11/07/2003

Arusha School

Hi David

Many thanks for your very interesting email.

To answer a couple of your questions yes I am related to Marion Langham. She is my first cousin. Do pass on my email to her if you are in contact.

Our grandparents were Raymond and Marjorie Ulyate (nee Rooken-Smith). Their families were part of the original settlers that landed in South Africa in 1820. My grandfather and his family then went on and became some of the first pioneers around Kajabe in Kenya.

Grandpa started taking people out on safari in the early 1900's. He worked for Newlands & Tarlton He even gets a mention in Theodore Roosevelts Book �frican Game Trails" That was on the safari in 1910 .

Grandpa bought Meru Estate near Lake Duluti after the first world war. When enemy property farms were being sold (German). They had that until a Mr K V Painter - an American persuaded him to sell the farm and take over the New Arusha Hotel (It was built opposite "'old man Blooms Arusha hotel" )

Reading from some of Mums notes she remembers that they had The Prince of Wales (first name in the visitors book) attended the opening ball in 1928. So I guess it was around this time the hotel opened.

See the article I am sending. I have heaps of other bit and pieces.

Following are a couple of photos of the hotel and an original postcard with the sign that my Grandpa wrote. I even have a Coloured letterhead of the hotel written to my mother 26 July 1930 .

Raymond and Marjorie had six children.


Vivian (my mother who married Boris Borissow)

Thora (Marions Mother who married Oswald Barratt)


Malham &

Ted (William)

I think Malham & Ted went to the school and most of the offspring went to Arusha School at some stage.(About 32 of us)

Ted's Wife - Kay Ulyate ran the Sanitorium for a long time. Many a day was spent there with measles, chicken pox or whatever.

Grandpa sold the New Arusha Hotel to their daughter Thora Barratt and also sold their other hotel the Lion Cub at Moshi to my mother Vivian Borissow.

I am sure Marion knows heaps more of the history than I do. I was one of the babies in the family!

Sorry the photos of the school are not too good. Colour has faded. Bryn Jones is the man sitting down, on mount Meru also in the fancy dress photo. Remember those! The 2 sitting at the top were one of the teachers. I wil try and track down my autograph book and then I will be able to tell you some of the names of the teachers at that time. Mrs Bennett was the art teacher I think.

I am glad to hear all your news about the school. What on earth took you back to Arusha and remind me again where you presently live.

I have just spent an hour hunting around. So time has got away.

Take care and please keep in touch and I dont mind you passing on my email to anyone who may remember me.

Marjorie Borissow

PS I caught up with a video made from old cine film taken of one of grandpas safaris. Rare footage.

Extract ID: 4339

See also

Ulyate Family Personal Communications
Extract Author: Bob Walker
Page Number: 504b

Arriving in Arusha

Grandfather Ray Ulyate was to leave Elmenteita in Kenya in 1923 for Arusha with his young family. He was to purchase a Custodian of Enemy Property coffee farm, Meru Estate outside of Arusha at Lake Duluti. During the (1939-45) war a part of the farm was to become a Polish refugee camp [Tengeru?]. Today the farm is the Headquarters of the Tanzania Department of National Parks and Wild Life

Grandfather Ray was to farm at Meru Estate until 1928 when the coffee market prices and world recession made it virtually impossible for him to carry on farming.

Extract ID: 4743

See also

Ulyate Family Personal Communications
Extract Author: Bob Walker
Page Number: 504c

Building the New Arusha Hotel

An American Mr. K V Painter started building the New Arusha Hotel in 1927 on the south side of clock tower at its present location. Arusha already had the Arusha Hotel located on the right hand corner of the road leading up to the Boma. It was owned by Jane and Goodall Bloom. My mother had vivid recollections of those days.

Grand father Ray was to lease the New Arusha Hotel in 1928 from K V Painter who during the same period purchased Meru Estate from Ray. The opening ball of the Hotel was attended by the Prince of Wales Edward the eighth (the un-crowned King.) The Hotel register with the Prince of Wales signature remains in the possession of some member of the family! The register was treasured by my late Grandmother Marjorie Ann Ulyate.

On the sale of Meru Estate Grandfather Ray was to start the Safari Company Tanganyika Big Game and Tourist Organization operating out of the New Arusha Hotel. The company was to become well known for its six day Safari�s to the Ngoronogoro Crater and Serengeti Plains and brought world renown to the lions. Grandfather Ray was to take many famous people on photographic Safari�s.

Extract ID: 4744

See also

Ulyate Family Personal Communications
Extract Author: Bob Walker
Page Number: 504h
Extract Date: 1940's

Memories of the New Arusha Hotel

My memories of the New Arusha Hotel were;

A lounge over looking a sunking dinning room. Above the lounge was my Grand parents accommodation, Either side of the lounge and in the dinning room were placed original photographs taken by wild life naturalist Cherry Kearton. The first ever Flash light photographs depicting a Lion and Rhino were amongst the photographs displayed there.

The dinning room walls had a painting of the whole of the East African valley designed by Grand father Ray and painted by a down and out painter looking for work. It was commissioned during the depression years.

The verandah of the hotel over looked the car park. Often seen Safari Trucks and farmers vehicles parked outside especially during lunch times. Wednesdays were farmer�s Market days when produce was laid out on tables to be sold. In those days The New Arusha Hotel was always a hive of activity.

Outside the Hotel was a signed board marking the centre of the East African Territories and half way between Cape to Cairo.

A very large wild fig tree branch taken from Meru Estate was planted on the corner of the Hotel. It grew into an enormous tree.

The Hotel was sold to the African Tours and Hotel Group in 1947. Ray and Anne Ulyate moved to the Lion Cub Hotel to be with my Mother. Grand father was suffering from ill health at the time and was to pass away in 1948

Extract ID: 4749